What's new

humidity sheets

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
someone school me on the heatfelt humidity sheets....

their webpage says the sheet will keep humidity up for DAYS....

I am looking for MONTHS....

I was considering cutting a couple of these sheets and using them to line the floor and ceiling of my wineador... I thought it might be a way to get ample humidity in there (I live in a pretty humid area.. summers get above 80 rh.. winters get down to the low 50's...)... without taking up any actual storage space....

but I dont want to be screwing with them on a weekly basis... once a month is more than I want to worry about it...

the wineador is small (12 bottle..).. interior dimensions are 11x12x14... right now 4x 65% boveda packs are keeping it a solid 65/65... Im just looking for something more "long term".. and thought these sheets might be an alternative to buying bulk beads..

any thoughts?

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=65%+Humidity+Sheets

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
Neat idea, you might want to also look into hcm beads. Supposed to last longer than heartfelt

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I'd lean more towards rotating the Bovedas that you already have. Always have some Bovedas recharging so when one of them gets a bit too dry, just cycle it out and put a fresh one in. Then recharge the dry one. I think that's about as non maintenance as you can get, considering Bovedas can last for months. Can you get away with only 2 Bovedas to save a little space?

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I probably could.. There was no method to my madness when I set the wineador up lol.. I just grabbed some bovedas and threw them in...

I've got so much cedar in there that it's about as stable an environment as can be created (5x Churchill size boxes... Plus a couple of small "sampler" sized boxes... Plus tons of pieces of broken down boxes lining the floor and walls)...

carholio

Carl
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I have 3 8oz hcm bead socks and about 6 69 RH bovedas in my 28 bottle. I haven't needed to changed out the bovedas in the 7 months I've had the wineador. But I do have 6 more ready to swap out if they get dry. Then I'll recharge the ones I take out.

Bottom line - this combo works great. I never need to do anything - no maintenance at all so far

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
I have 3 8oz hcm bead socks and about 6 69 RH bovedas in my 28 bottle. I haven't needed to changed out the bovedas in the 7 most I've had the wineador. But I do have 6 more ready to swap out if they get dry. Then I'll recharge the ones I take out.

Bottom line - this combo works great. I never need to do anything - no maintenance at all so far
Good to know, that is the combo I was thinking of switching too (currently testing out hcm and heartfelt bead combo)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heartfelt beads in my wineador and I haven't added water for months. Keeps a perfect 64%

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Im very familiar with the beads... I use them... Just not familiar with the sheets... And didn't know if they were different somehow since they are only advertising "days" of humidity control...

Looking further it appears to be the sane product.. Just offered in a different delivery system???

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
404   0   0
I was considering them too at one time for my coolidor but was not really clear on how to rehydrate them.

Cigary43 got me turned on to Kitty Litter and I ended up going to a combination of Kitty Litter and Boveda packs. My coolidor stays rock solid at 65-66% now. This is important for me since sometimes (like you) I am away from my stash for weeks at a time. Here in Minnesota the RH hangs around 70% in summertime so it is not a big issue. In the wintertime however it is extremely dry with the RH sitting in the 25-30% range. i just got back after a 15 day trip. My desktops (where I use gel) had dropped from 70% to 60% during that time and needed rehydration. My coolidor on the other had was 66% when I left and 66% when i got back.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to get off topic: I have Heartfelt beads and have never heard of these HCM beads until just now. To save space, would it be ok to mix the HCM in with my heartfelt since my heartfelt container has extra space?

carholio

Carl
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Sorry to get off topic: I have Heartfelt beads and have never heard of these HCM beads until just now. To save space, would it be ok to mix the HCM in with my heartfelt since my heartfelt container has extra space?
No you can not mix them together in the same container. You need to add water directly to Heartfelt beads - you never want to add water directly to HCM beads. You can go to the hcm website http://www.hcmbeads.com/default.asp and read up about them.

However, if they are both in their own separate "sock" you could put them together in the same container as long as the wet HF bead sock doesn't touch the HCM sock.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you can not mix them together in the same container. You need to add water directly to Heartfelt beads - you never want to add water directly to HCM beads. You can go to the hcm website http://www.hcmbeads.com/default.asp and read up about them.

However, if they are both in their own separate "sock" you could put them together in the same container as long as the wet HF bead sock doesn't touch the HCM sock.

Oh yeah, that is what I meant. Just keep the sock of HCM in the tube of heartfelt. i didn't see any rules on keeping them that close together so I wasnt sure. Thanks!