What's new

Humidiy shot up when started cooling?

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
Hello all,

Just looking for reassurance about relative humidity going up as temperature goes down. I recently built the kick butt humi with thermoelectric cooling unit/Oasis XL plus and when I started to cool it down to the upper sixties, the humidity numbers went way high and are now coming down very slowly. Is this normal? I know that humidity is relative, but I wasn’t expecting a change of less than ten degrees in temperature to up the relative humidity bymore than 10%. As the humidity is slowly dropping back to the 70% that I usually keep the Oasis set at, the sticks seem drier than I’m used to. Not dried out, no danger of that as far as I can tell yet, but drier. Any pearls of wisdom from a BTDT?

Cheers,
Mitch

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
I think I've figured it out, or at least part of it. I think the wood I used to make the new humidor was wet enough to up the humidity. It is coming down slowely, the Oasis hasn't turned on yet.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Hello all,

Just looking for reassurance about relative humidity going up as temperature goes down. I recently built the kick butt humi with thermoelectric cooling unit/Oasis XL plus and when I started to cool it down to the upper sixties, the humidity numbers went way high and are now coming down very slowly. Is this normal? I know that humidity is relative, but I wasn’t expecting a change of less than ten degrees in temperature to up the relative humidity bymore than 10%. As the humidity is slowly dropping back to the 70% that I usually keep the Oasis set at, the sticks seem drier than I’m used to. Not dried out, no danger of that as far as I can tell yet, but drier. Any pearls of wisdom from a BTDT?

Cheers,
Mitch
all sounds normal

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
OK, now I think I really figured it out. I'm using an Oasis for humidity and have it set to 65%, but it never kicks on because the humidity is staying low seventies. So, it should still be full right? Wrong!

The Oasis was too close to the colling unit fan, so I think it was forcing some air through it even when it's own fan was not running. Humidity has been slowly dropping, but I noticed my resiviour is about empty in the Oasis as well.

I'm gonna refill and hide this thing in the back far away from the cooling fan and any direct air flow, once the humidity is down to about 65% where I like it. If it starts to creep up again on me, I'm going with a pound of beeds.

Whod a thunk it?

earnold25

Eran
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Typically the opposite should happen. The colder the air, the drier the air. I don't have any advice about your situation unfortunately.

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
Typically the opposite should happen. The colder the air, the drier the air. I don't have any advice about your situation unfortunately.
I think I got it figured out, the Oasis has a little water tank, and when the air gets dry a fan forces air through the tank to ramp up the humidity in the air. When humidity is OK, the fan dosn't run so no air through the tank dosn't increase humidity.

In my case, the fan from the cooling unit was over the Oasis and forcing some air through the tank even when the fan from the Oasis wasn't running. I removed the Oasis tank and the humidity has started to drop imediatly. I should be down around mid sixties when I get home and think as long as I hide the Oasis away from the cooling fan, all will be good!

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I think what happened has to do with dew point. When you humi was sitting at 70 or so degrees and you dropped it down into the 60s the RH went up. From my little knowledge of weather and temp effects on RH it seems like sound reasoning especially since it's a sealed environment.

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
I think what happened has to do with dew point. When you humi was sitting at 70 or so degrees and you dropped it down into the 60s the RH went up. From my little knowledge of weather and temp effects on RH it seems like sound reasoning especially since it's a sealed environment.
Maybe, but I'm not sure how that explains the resiviour going dry? I'm still thinking that it has to do with air flow over the Oasis. Besides, I took the tank off the Oasis and removed it from the humidor and humidity is dropping quicker than with any thing else I've done. Seems the tank is the source for the humidity.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello all,

Cheers,
Mitch
Mitch,

I'm looking to add a coolong unit to my cabinet humi, do you have pictures or plans of your set-up?
Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0