What's new

humidor 101

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I am getting ready to buy my first humidor and am looking for advice. What should i look for and what should i stay away from. Im looking for basic humidor 101 type of advice. If this is on another thread point me in the right direction. thanks Brothers.........

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Check our guides! Mitch's primer has some good stuff there! [ame="http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=24701"]Cigar Primer for New Smokers - BOTL Cigar Forums - Brothers of the Leaf[/ame]
If, however, ye referred to which to get, then make it 3timesbigger than what ye were thinking. No glass-top.

EDIT - I know it is mainly on HOW to smoke, but read it all and ye'll see me point.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Like Moro said, get something much larger than you need now.
Example (LOL): I started with a 20ct, moved to a 40ct, then to a humidor that was supposed to hold 100, then to a 120ct and a 48qt cooler, not I have 2 120ct and the 48qt cooler. I should have just bought a wine cooler when I first started looking at them. Would have been less expensive that way too lol.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
count on the humidor holding 50-75% of its stated capacity

included analog hygrometers are for show, count of spending another $20 - $25 on a digiatal hygrometer.

supplied humidifiers are usually the green florist foam type. do they work? yes, they do. you will need to use humidor solution, not plain distilled water. There are more high tech versions of humification like gel humidifiers, and beads and Bovedas that let you pick a humidity level. As you gain more knowledge, and hang around BOTL, you will probably upgrade your humdification as your collection grows.

site sponsers such as myself, heartfelt Industries and others can supply you with anything that you need. Site sponsors are also proven to have great customer service, and usually provide even extra service to BOTL members.

ask opinions before buying.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Check out cigarsolutions.com for all you humidor, and humidification needs. Get a digital hygro that can be calibrated. By enough heartfelt beads for you sized humi, both of these sponsors of BOTL and can be found the community page under sponsors. Both are excellent vendors with proven track records.

rhutch

Ryan
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
definitely second the opinion of buying 3x bigger than you were thinking. My first, which I still have, was a 50 count, and I'm not a regular smoker (ie 1 or 2 a week) and it's FULL!!! Either that or don't enter ANY contests on this board and don't get bombed EVER.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Have fun with it. I have a 100 ct at home and a 48qt igloo at work. What's wrong with having a humi in each room of your house? Unless you have teenagers that would steal them when your at work. But that's a different story.:gangfire:

theribdoctor

Certifiable.
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
or you can do what I'm going to do(thanks Ron).

you can go to walmart, pick up a large glass container, that has a seal(fill it with water and flip it over to test the seal)

buy a boveda from Ron, and put a piece of cedar from a cigar box and call it a day.

Ron said there was a jar that could hold a 50 count. personally I like this idea...it's cheap, works nicely and looks better than most humidors.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most everything has been said. IMO, a humidor should also be a piece of furniture, so perhaps get something that you'd be proud to display.

JRL

Formerly known as Jeeper
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
Depend on your budget too. If you can afford it do a winedor. Everyone who has one loves them. Well I think they do. I love mine.

Toast

Banned
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to be honest; newbie , great product would be the havana cigar foot locker. enough space to handle your smokes an incase you do enjoy the hobby you have the space and if you don't ; it wasn't that $$ an it very very easy to sell.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Just like everyone else. I started out with a 20ct then added another, then a 100ct, later a tupper-dor and now in the process of getting vinotemp.

I wish I would have jsut started with a large desktop and vino to start with.

JRL

Formerly known as Jeeper
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
YOu can start with a tupperdor and go from there. Cheap yet perfect way to get started. Get the beads and you can use them in anything you get.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The vino is definitely great. With shelves and boxes it makes an excellent display piece. Trust me you will still run out of real estate. However, you can always take shelves out to make more room for boxes. Startup cost is comparable to cost of small cabinet.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why no glass top?

Glass top is usually not recommended because it has no protection against ultraviolet lights, unless the glass is coated with something.

But if you are not planning to keep ur sticks in it for too long, then I suppose there isnt any problem.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
:hysterica ignore the advice about storage capacity.

I didn't ignore it last year and bought a 300 stick 7 drawer humi.

that was full within 3 months.:wtf:

Now i have just bought an 80 box one that stands about 5'6" tall. That should last a couple of years (hopefully)