What's new

Humidor all of a sudden wont stay at 65%

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a desktop humidor that was hand made by my brother. I have had it 3 years now and after a few different humidification options have settled with the bead recommended on this forum. My box holds between 75-100 stick. I have the round 3" dish with 65% beads. With a approximate monthly dose of distilled water I have been rock solid at 65% for a year. Now I seem to fill the dish once a week and after a few days the box is dropping to 63-62%. Do I need to replace the beads after a year or so?? Could it be something else? I am in LA where there isn't a huge difference in season so I wouldn't think it had to do with weather. Any suggestions?

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Check your hygrometer first of all so you know that your equipment is in working order. Secondly check the seal the humidor ( dollar bill test all the way around ) and if all you are using is a 3 inch disc w/65% beads that isn't enough for 75-100 sticks. Ideally you want your humidor filled to at least 3/4 so if it holds 100 sticks you'd want around 75-80 sticks. I have about 3 humidors that hold up to 100 sticks like yours and I have at least 2 pucks of KL inside the units for each humidor. For smaller humidors ( 20 - 30 sticks ) I use one 3 inch puck filled with KL. The thing about beads or KL is that you should use a bit more than conventional wisdom dictates...try one more puck filled with beads or other media that you choose and you should see a more stable environment. If you have beads now stay with beads...if you want to change over to KL then put KL in your pucks and not one puck with beads and the other puck with KL...stay with one kind of media.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, will get a second puck with beads. Just not sure why it has all of a sudden become unstable after two years of being rock solid.

I will check the hygrometer as well.