What's new

humidor dropping humidity

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 75 count humidor and there are about 50 cigars currently inside. I have a heartfelt industries humidity stick, a xikar gel container, and a boveda 75 small pack.
I live in upstate NY and currently the weather is pretty cold. The humidor has been dropping humidity like crazy, its reading 60% now. Will the weather have play in this? Should I get more humidification inside?

Thank you

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the same issue. Your RH is really low for what's in it. You may need to re-season. But you also have 3 types of humidification. I would get the appropriate amount of 1 type for a 75 count. Boveda is so easy. You should be able to get away with 3-4 packs for a 75 count. I have 2 in my 50. I keep a rotation that I rehumidify.

Adding more cigars will help. I had my 50 count half filled last winter and it was reading 65 with three 72 Bovedas. I only used the 72's because I wasn't even close to my target rh of 69 with the 69 Bovedas. I wound up filling it to the brim with cigars and it's now within 1 degree of my Bovedas so I switched to 69 rh Bovedas. I'm spot on my 69 rh target now.

Good luck!

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Here's how cold weather affects your cigar humidor.....
Cold weather---> house heater kicks on, runs often, dries out your homes RH. Your desktop may, possibly be of less than perfect construction (leaky). This results in no matter what you have hydrating your cigars, you will continue to fight all winter to keep them hydrated. If you're really worried or don't want to keep hydrating beads every 3 days. Buy more beads or KittyLitter. Or purchase a higher quality desktop such as Xikar, Savoy or a custom piece.

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
When the temp drops outside humidity drops, then it drops inside your house, and finally in the humi, an easier option may be to temporarily make a tuppador, it's airtight and wil likely be more stable, also calibrate the hygrometer, many are notoriously inaccurate

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I switched to plastic. I have an Adorini and even that dropped humidity when I moved my stuff into an Temp Controlled room. So now I only use it for show when I have guests.