What's new

humidor/furniture question

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me start by saying how much I enjoy the forum and all of its useful information.
Here is my situation and question. I am wanting to store/display my cigars in the living room where I can appreciate them all the time. So far, I have been unable to locate a cabinet humidor that would really look right in the room. I am looking for a cabinet with glass in the door to convert to a humidor. I am aware that it needs to have a decent seal or be able to made to where it seals up. I will probably run a humicare humidifer in it. My question is: other than avoiding american cedar is there any other woods or surface types to avoid (painted, stained etc) and is it necessary to line with spanish cedar or would spanish cedar shelves be adequate?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know specifically. Something a little more rustic than what you typically see in humidors. Looking for an upright cabinet 5 - 7 feet tall.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
avallo is making oak, mission style cabinets. If that interests you, lmk.

if doingityourself, ask questions

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to do something myself (its just a weird preference). I will likely hit the antique stores in the next few days. Do I need to avoid certain woods or finishes?
Also, jumping the tracks a little here, I saw a mighty attractive dual zone wine refrigerator that I was thinking about using one side for wine and the other for a humidor and placing it in my kitchen. What does it take to make a wine refrigerator into a suitable humidor?

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
no finish on the inside

i am not into wine fridges for humidors, so you might get better advice in the storage room

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
I thought of this too before I decided to build one. One of the thoughts I had was buying a china cabnet. You can find them cheap on Craigs list and line them with spanish ceder if you want.