What's new

Humidor odor Question

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello gents. Well, Getting back into cigars I finally seasoned a 150ct humidor I had sitting on my desk for a while. It had a great cedar smell, real strong and pleasant. well I got her stocked up with some smokes and KL, and now that the Humidity is leveled out at around 65-67% I am noticing a strange odor. Now at first I thought it was the KL, I have had this KL for about 4 years now and it has been amazing. I have smelled the KL about as much as a person can, Taking it in and out of the humidor. Once in the humidor I swore it smelled like an orange or zest/citrus odor. Then I take it out and let it sit for a minute and it smells like odorless cat litter. The more and more I smell the humidor, I cannot tell if I am just partially insane and my nose is as dull and one minded as a politician. Or If I am actually smelling an odor from the wood in the humidor. My question is, is this normal? I really do not mind it, but It is the cigars I am worried about.

My thoughts so far...
causes: 1, The wood itself
2, The smell of the cigars mixed with cedar is causing the illusion of an orange odor
3, I have had my sticks a bit dry during winter, maybe the increase in humidity is causing different smells to come out?
4, I need to get some sleep and smell them in the morning and stop over thinking what it could be.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 would be my guess. Did u season it with orange juice instead of distiller water. Jk. Check it in the morning

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
KL can give off that type of aroma if they are moistened too much. Some have posted that they didn't spray DW...that they rather kind of soaked them and KL is the one media you can't douse with a lot of DW or they will give off that smell. If you've had them for 4 years then just put some fresh KL and spritz them as KL is a pretty cheap media.

I remember having those rectangular plastic hygros with the foam in there..for the first year they were ok and then they started giving off a really pungent aroma and when I took the lid off I saw mold spots on them....they become incubators over time.

The best way to put KL in any humidor is to get a very shallow dish where you expose as much surface area of the KL as you can...if you just pile the KL on top of itself you aren't able to spray DW on the vast majority of the KL.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
KL can give off that type of aroma if they are moistened too much. Some have posted that they didn't spray DW...that they rather kind of soaked them and KL is the one media you can't douse with a lot of DW or they will give off that smell. If you've had them for 4 years then just put some fresh KL and spritz them as KL is a pretty cheap media.

I remember having those rectangular plastic hygros with the foam in there..for the first year they were ok and then they started giving off a really pungent aroma and when I took the lid off I saw mold spots on them....they become incubators over time.

The best way to put KL in any humidor is to get a very shallow dish where you expose as much surface area of the KL as you can...if you just pile the KL on top of itself you aren't able to spray DW on the vast majority of the KL.
Thanks for the reply you two. I did douse the KL a little, I did not have a spray bottle handy. I will spray some KL this time and see if that indeed is the problem. You learn something new every day! And my nose is not crazy ;)

-Ok, I got a new batch of litter in and lightly sprayed. Lets give this another try, now for the orange odor. Will this disappear over time or should I air the humidor out? And if so would that require a re season of the humi?

Last edited: