What's new

Humidor problems

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a desktop humidor that was hand made by my brother. I have had it 3 years now and after a few different humidification options have settled with the bead recommended on this forum. My box holds between 75-100 stick. I have the round 3" dish with 65% beads. With a approximate monthly dose of distilled water I have been rock solid at 65% for a year. Now I seem to fill the dish once a week and after a few days the box is dropping to 63-62%. Do I need to replace the beads after a year or so?? Could it be something else? I am in LA where there isn't a huge difference in season so I wouldn't think it had to do with weather. Any suggestions?

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
I've never heard of the beads wearing out. Do you have fewer cigars in the humidor than you did when it was maintaining?

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
What type of wood was used to make the humi? Not knocking the construction- as you said it was solid for a year- but such a sudden change could indicate a broken seam in the wood caused by swelling or some other recent failure in the seal. I also happen to be in the LA area at the moment (shoot me a pm for a herf, I'd love to go and hang out at V-Cut) and I know the weather here has been a little colder than usual in the past week or so. A temp change could also cause a change in rh%. But, as you said the weather hasn't changed THAT drastically so it's probably something else. I doubt that its any issue with the beads since they last indefinitely unless they have been clogged by contaminants which will only happen if you use PG solution or regular water instead of distilled. If the box was ever overheated some of the moisture could have been sucked out of it if it's not an airtight seal via a vacuum effect. I also agree with ATL on the less cigars now then before thing. The bottom line is that there are a lot of possibilities. Can you give us any more info? Did anything at all change about your humi setup when you started experiencing problems?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that you mention it I am down to about 50 or less sticks. Where I used to stock 70 or so. As far as construction, I am not 100% sure of the exterior wood, will ask my brother tomorrow. It is lined with 1/4" Spanish cedar. It has never had a problem before a few weeks ago. Actually before I was using the beads I had more of a problem of it getting to humid in there.

It is in the exact same location and nothing has changed about the room.

If the reason for lower humidity levels is do to less cigars, do I need a bigger bead tray? Or just drop more $$ on some new smokes

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably too long, replacing the battery doesn't reset calibration does it. What is the best way to do that again?

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Get a new boveda pack. ( doesn't have to be the hygrometer one) as long as its new. Stick the new boveda in with the hygrometer in a sealed ziploc bag for a few hours(12 hrs is best) and get a reading.