What's new

Humidor Question

Tiburon

Apprentice BOTL
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Ok, BOTL. I've been hanging out here since February or so, and I've learned a ton from all of you. But I come to you with a humidor question/problem. I bought a 50 stick humidor when I started, and didn't really season it properly. Too much in a rush. Nevertheless, I've since seen the error of my ways, and I've seasoned the humi per the great directions in JWRussel's thread.

I soaked the clean sponge in distilled water, rung it out so it was barely damp, then let it sit in the humidor for 3 days. My hygro read 80% after three days. I opened the humidor, fanned out some moist air until it hit 70%, then placed my cigars in there. The humidity continued to drop until my humidity with my calibrated digital hygro stays around 60-61% (temp is around 72-74F). I have a small 2 oz.crystal gel inside that I bought from my B&M. I also have beads on the way (expecting them tomorrow!!). I left a shotglassful of distilled water in the humidor last night (with my 20 or so cigars, the gel, and the hygro), and I looked today to find 65% humidity.

Here are my questions...

1) IMHO, the crystal gel thingy isn't getting the job done. I think it's too small for the space involved. Am I on the right path?

2) With a shotglass in there, why is my humidity only at 65%? It doesn't seem to be evaporating, just kinda sitting there.

3) Will beads cure my ills?

4) Why did I only buy a 50 count? I have 20 more smokes on the way and I'm looking at the devil site for a deal on a 100-150 count humidor. I also bought a large tube from Heartfelt in anticipation of getting a larger humidor. Should I use the smaller humi for the cigars I'd give to my not-so-cigar-inclined friends and the larger for my real stash?

Thanks in advance, folks. I already appreciate the great community here (and I'm looking very forward to getting some Undercrowns from Vitty!) and would love to learn more.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Boveda packs all the way.

Also, I like to wipe down the inside of the humi with distiller water when I first season it. Do that a few times every 4 hours for the first day or so. That will let the wood absorb some moisture.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While I am not an expert on humidors, I have found the gel to work great in my 50 count humidor. I have not had to mess with it, and the only time I had a problem was when I forgot to keep the gel charged with water.

In terms of going with a humidor for 100-150, you might also want to look at a coolidor. It gives you the option JUST IN CASE :rofl: you expand your collection past 150.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
1) Could be it's not enough. I use a combination of gel sticks, Bovedas and beads between my three humidors and work just fine. It did take some time to get things evened out before I put cigars in though. Have you also checked the seal to make sure you're not leaking?

2) When you added the cigars, they absorb humidity if they were drier than the humidity of the environment. Also the leaking thing.

3) Potentially, if your humidor isn't leaking. For a humidor that size I'd use Bovedas though. Won't take up as much room as beads.

4) At your rate of expansion you may want to save some money and seriously consider a coolidor at this point in time. Seems like you may outgrow that 100 count and then find yourself looking to buy another humidor.

Dan

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I started with the 50 count to. Lasted.me a little over a month. I picked up a 70qrt cooler for less then the humi cost me. Best decision I've made.

Tiburon

Apprentice BOTL
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Went from a 25ct to a 2 cubic foot Mini Fridge-ador and now I need to expand to a wine-ador
I'm considering a smaller Haier wineador (8 bottle), but for right now I'd like to say that I don't see myself storing 150 at a time. I'm still in the "exploring my palate" phase and I cant imagine making a box purchase at this time.

For now.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I'm considering a smaller Haier wineador (8 bottle), but for right now I'd like to say that I don't see myself storing 150 at a time. I'm still in the "exploring my palate" phase and I cant imagine making a box purchase at this time.

For now.
You are like the 1000th person on this forum who has fooled himself with that very comment.....

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
IMO, 3 days is never enough time when trying to season a humidor. You may have gotten it to 80, but I would bet it wasn't stable at that point, or even close.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
You don't have to buy boxes for 'em to start stacking up. You'll be surprised at how quickly you'll fill up a humidor buying 1, 2, or 5 at a time.

Dan

Tiburon

Apprentice BOTL
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
You don't have to buy boxes for 'em to start stacking up. You'll be surprised at how quickly you'll fill up a humidor buying 1, 2, or 5 at a time.

Dan
I also have to be wary of what my wife will allow. Can't spend money on cigars if it's all going to the divorce lawyer. I'm thinking I'm probably artificially limited to storing 100-150 at a time.

Rating - 100%
62   0   1
You are like the 1000th person on this forum who has fooled himself with that very comment.....
Bwahahahaha!! Dude. Killin me. I never saw myself outgrowing a 50 count. Well, I've got 2 150's a 77 count traveller, and three 25 desktops. Guess who's out of room. Again. If I wasn't living in an RV, I'd already have something large and electric. Damn.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
The biggest mistake that most newbies make is that they rush things(i madet the same mistakes). 3 days seems like it should be enough but in my experience you need minimum 7 days. The low humidity is probably due to not enough seasoning time. your RH is low because the humi and your cigars are absorbing the mosture with time it will even itself out.

1) IMHO, the crystal gel thingy isn't getting the job done. I think it's too small for the space involved. Am I on the right path?
The crystal jars do the job, some swear by them others hate them. IMO i don't like that they don't give an exact RH and take up valuable space in smaller humis

2) With a shotglass in there, why is my humidity only at 65%? It doesn't seem to be evaporating, just kinda sitting there.
The wood and your sticks are absorbing moisture or you could have a leak. like i said above RH is moisture in the air and takes a while for water to evaporate out of the shot glass that is why people use sponge for a larger surface area and quicker evaporation

3) Will beads cure my ills?
Yes with time they will even out your humi provided that it has a good seal. Bovedas will also work

4) Why did I only buy a 50 count? I have 20 more smokes on the way and I'm looking at the devil site for a deal on a 100-150 count humidor. I also bought a large tube from Heartfelt in anticipation of getting a larger humidor. Should I use the smaller humi for the cigars I'd give to my not-so-cigar-inclined friends and the larger for my real stash?
In the long run you will save yourself a lot of money buying a cooler. It doesn't have to be a 70 qt a 28qt / 48qt will do and if you look around you should be able to find them for $15 / $20. get some empty boxes and your good to go. biggest plus is if you ever need to upgrade your not stuck wondering what to do with with your old humidor.

Tiburon

Apprentice BOTL
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
An FYI...When my HF beads came in, I decided to recalibrate my hygro, just to make sure I was doing the right thing. Got a surprise when after 16 hours with the salt test, got a reading of 66%. Re-calibrated, put the hygro in with my beads and sticks, and this morning I check the hygro and it magically reads 69%. Magic I tell ya, magic...especially when you use the equipment right (sheepish grin).