What's new

Humidor Question

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this little baby, how should I go about seasoning it? Should I let the humidifier do the job for a few weeks before adding my cigars or should I wipe it down? It is 24"D x 48"W x 80"H with a 2 gallon humidifier. Any suggestions?

Attachments

jkittle99

Josh
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Im no expert, just a newb myself, but if it were me, I'd let the humi run for a couple weeks, get a nice steady humidity level (70% of whatever your target is) and then add in your media of choice (I expect you'll use beads or kitty litter or something in addition to the active humidification, right? Thats a very sweet looking cabinet, congrats!

Im sure you'll get a lot better advice than mine.

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
One of our fellow brothers Jason, started a thread on ways to start priming your humidor. It's been useful for me. Also some great comments from brothers after the article on what works for them. I hope it helps.
Nice cabinet! Just try and be patient with the process and good luck!

Here's the link: http://www.botl.org/threads/a-primer-on-humidification-and-seasoning.3277/

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Don't wet anything down. Seasoning via direct application to the wood causes nothing but trouble. Get a working, trusted hygrometer in there and see where the RH is at. Then you can "season" . Some place a shot glass of distilled in there, or a sponge in a tray actually increases the surface and works faster from what I have seen. There are also Bodeva kits out there. Anything except don't wipe it down unless some here has better advice, hold off.

edit - yep SD Sharks' link above says it all.

Last edited:

Cigarth Vader

Official Jedi of BOTL.org
Retailer
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
I like to use the Boveda seasoning packs. They work well, but can take a while. If you don't have any of those, or don't want to shell out the cash for them...

1- Take a tupperware container that will fit inside your humidor with the lid closed. Fill the tupperware with distilled water (make sure it not so full that it spills), put the tupperware in your humidor (don't put a lid on the tupperware- this should go without saying, but I've had to clarify before haha).

2- Close up your humidor and then Check the water level every 3 days or so, otherwise leave it alone for about a week.

3-Once the humidity reaches about 80% and is steady there for at least 24 hours, remove the distilled water and add your humidity media.

4-Check it the next day and see where it is at.
(If the humidity drops way below your designated RH, put the distilled water back in and repeat steps 2&3)

If after 3 days it is holding steady at the RH that your humidity media is designed for, start adding your cigars to the humidor.

The seasoning process can take about a week to 2 weeks when done properly. Don't rush it :)

Cheers and good luck!

Edit: Just realized how big that cabinet is. You'll want to put a couple tupperware containers of DW on each shelf. Also, make sure that everything seals up nice and flush ;)

Last edited:

Agentskull

BoM Feb 14
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I would let your active system run until the rh stabilizes. Then think about some back up media to help the humidity bounce back quicker.

I would place several calibrated hygrometers at different locations. Maybe have a fan or two to help circulate.

Idk how many seasoning packets you would need for something this size. I also don't know why the active system couldn't season it for you

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the comments. I have used smaller humidors for years but nothing this big, (not even 1/2 this size). I did the math and I am going to need roughly 10lbs of beads or litter, in my small humidors I use water crystals and they have done pretty good. I'm thinking of using ExquisiCat, I have 10 old stogie boxes I'm going to drill some 2" holes into, line it with panty hose and put 1lb litter in each, I have 4 shelves in the upper part so I will place them in different locations throughout the humidor I am also adding 2 - 5" infinity 115v low speed fans to help circulate the air. I have never used litter before, so my question for my friends are this. 1) does this setup sound ok? 2) When I'm ready to put in my litter do I need to put it in dry or should a spray it a little? Just incase you ask I am putting the litter in old spanish cedar boxes with lids to hide the litter, I am very very OCD with my humidor, so everything has to look neat and clean, I can not stand clutter in my humidor. :)

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Lots of glass in that retail display unit, so you MAY want to lightly rub down the wood, since there's not a whole lot there.
As others have said, patience is the key to get your target RH set AND consistent for at least a couple days before stuffing bixes in there :)

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
If you can, you should get an Avallo Accumonitor system in that puppy so you won't go crazy chasing the RH all over the map with a humi of that size. Avallo is a site sponsor...Check for the banner ad.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL I have a friend that is going to sell me his that he bought about 4 months ago and never used. I have had it setting for about a week and every day the RH goes up a little more. I'm going to give it a week or so after the RH stabilizes before I add my stogies, I have already added my fan and my friend is suppose to bring accumonitor over tomorrow and luckily my fans are compatible with it.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
LOL I have a friend that is going to sell me his that he bought about 4 months ago and never used. I have had it setting for about a week and every day the RH goes up a little more. I'm going to give it a week or so after the RH stabilizes before I add my stogies, I have already added my fan and my friend is suppose to bring accumonitor over tomorrow and luckily my fans are compatible with it.
Nice...Can't go wrong with the Accumonitor :)