What's new

Humidor RH Problem

sportsmedjosh

CRA Member: 211528
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
So I have a nice humidor which was holding at 65% for about two weeks. Then I added some more cigars that I purchased and all of a sudden my RH dropped to 61%. I calibrated my hydrometer and it was correct. I have double the amount of beads that I'm suppose to have for the amount of cigars I have 4oz. In addition I also have a humdipak 65% as well. Do I need even more beads. If so I don't think I have space for them and maybe I should get more more humdipaks.

This is what I have.

There are laying down in the side tray

openendstraight

Grand Corona
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
I see your problem, you should take that DPG CC out right away, and send it to me. That should fix you rproblem.

No seriously, new sticks can really effect the RH%, give it some time, and just keep an eye on thoses beads to make sure they are not all white.

WhiteLightning

This is WhiteLightning!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
You'll be fine. Every time you open the humi you will lose humidity. It takes time for the humidity to recover. Don't open it so much and you're good to go.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
The humi was holding firm for two weeks. You introduced sticks and the RH dropped. Hmmmm. Sticks taking on moisture. Check beads and RH weekly. If beads are white add distilled water. If not, leave it alone. It will come up.

sportsmedjosh

CRA Member: 211528
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I put a small dixie cup of DH20 and it's bringing it back up now at 63%. I will take the cup out tomorrow and check the beads again and see how things hold out.

This make me question my cigar caddy (2 sticks) I got which has no humidor. I was planning on using it when I travel for a week. But if the RH drops that low maybe it's not the best idea.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Yea...I have placed a small dish of water in my humidor before...it does indeed work. 61% will not kill the sticks though. I keep my collection between 61-63%. I know many a knowledgeable BOTL who have their collections 56-58%. So, a short term drop is not a big issue and expected when you add a bunch of new sticks.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Yea...I have placed a small dish of water in my humidor before...it does indeed work. 61% will not kill the sticks though. I keep my collection between 61-63%. I know many a knowledgeable BOTL who have their collections 56-58%. So, a short term drop is not a big issue and expected when you add a bunch of new sticks.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Think about it. As cigars sit outside their native environment which is faairly high humidity they begin to dry out and lose water. Put them back in that environment they begin to absorb water like a sponge. This is why you have to be careful what you put your cigars in or next to. Care must be taken that they absorb slowly or they will swell and burst. Beads and boveda paks do this nicely. Your cigars could have been a little dry. Smoke a few, you may like the draw. The more moisture they absorb the harder they will draw as they close up. Also if they take on too much they will smoke hotter as the moisture becomes steam. It is all about experimenting. In addition, different cgars smoke better at 60% and others at 70%. The old adage of 70/70 is an average not an absolute rule. Trial and error will help you enjoy the cigar experience.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
If you have a 4oz. tube of beads and a humi pack in there, you are more than good to go. I can keep my desktop full of cigars and use 2 humi packs and not worry about it. There is just a Humidity drop from the new sticks and you opening it. Don't worry until you see your humidity drop down under 60%. It's totally normal bro, don't sweat it.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Think about it. As cigars sit outside their native environment which is faairly high humidity they begin to dry out and lose water. Put them back in that environment they begin to absorb water like a sponge. This is why you have to be careful what you put your cigars in or next to. Care must be taken that they absorb slowly or they will swell and burst. Beads and boveda paks do this nicely. Your cigars could have been a little dry. Smoke a few, you may like the draw. The more moisture they absorb the harder they will draw as they close up. Also if they take on too much they will smoke hotter as the moisture becomes steam. It is all about experimenting. In addition, different cgars smoke better at 60% and others at 70%. The old adage of 70/70 is an average not an absolute rule. Trial and error will help you enjoy the cigar experience.
$$$

And honestly, at 70/70 cigars seem to smoke wet to me. So, I went down to 65-68%...and found that for my taste that is still a bit too much. 62%/68 degrees F seems to be the magic number for me. But you bring up a terrific point. Not all my cigars smoke best there. Especially, my NCs. I do like my Hemmingways and Davidoff Grand Cru #2...and there is no doubt both smoke better at about 67%.