What's new

Humidor situation.

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Well, I was recently gifted a desktop humi from me godfather. Pretty, decent-sized, and well crafted. Yet, I stumbled upon a situation: It smells of pipe tobacco. Hygro calibrated, humi seasoned, and a fair amount of baking soda to take the smell out of it. But I have found it not to help at all. I ask, any ideas? Or, will the cigars absorb the scent if I don't age them in there (store them at the most 6 months or the sort)? I've never had pipe and cigar tobacco together, so I'm not sure what might be...

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Not that I have any answers for your humi situation but there were and probably still are cigars rolled with pipe tobacco in them. I have a tubed John Ts pipe tobacco cigar I recently rediscovered in one of my empty cigar boxes. It's still wet as the day I bought it and it was certainly a strange smoke. Not bad but too sweet for my liking.

Well I might have a possible situation. I'd stop seasoning the humi and let it sit open for a while with the baking soda in it. You also might want to try a damp cloth with some diluted rubbing alcohol on it. Do a quick wipe of the inside but don't get it wet and let it sit a little longer.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
The pipe tobacco odor will be there for awhile, I have a wood container I stored pipe tobacco in and my Wife wanted to use it, she has washed it countless times and it still smells a little. I would say your best hope is to leave it open and let it air out for awhile. I actually dont think the cigars would be affected that much by the scent, and I would guess you could use it for short term storage, but I would not leave anything in there for years if it smells.

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I actually have a pipe, as well as some tobacco. It might be an upgrade for me bulk tobcco tupperdor...but still, it's quite large for what I have (now for cigars...:smokingbo)

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
356   0   0
i have a real nice h upmann 160th anni humi that has three trays. had a great aroma with its own cigars in them. once emptied, i use the humi for singles and i've noticed each stick has that same flavor, albeit very minor.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Leave it open and let it dry out completly. Wipe with a light baking soda solution. Let it dry. Check. Repeat. The answer is to leave it open to disapate the oder. May or may not work but leaving closed will retain the smell. Good luck.