What's new

Hydrating Beads

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Hey guys,

So if you have been hanging around the forum for any period of time then you know about beads/kitty litter. There have been recent talks about containers and what not but I was wondering what you guys do as a "fool proof" way to hydrate your beads without over hydrating them.

I remember the first time I hydrated beads to put in my wineador I ended up soaking the crap out of them and had to then put them in the oven. By the time all was said and done there were beads all over my floor and I had one pissed of Mrs. I have seen people talk about spraying the beads with a spray bottle until 60-70 percent are opaque in color. In theory thats a great idea, until you do what I did and say "Is that 60-70%, or should I give it one my spray?"

We have some pretty creative guys around here so I figured there would be a variety of ways that guys have made sure to not "over hydrate" beads.

Hope I'm not the only one to have ever done this. If so, MY BAD!!

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Once you have it dialed in, Ive kind of worked out that two or three sprays in each of my containers = 1% lift in rh.

Alternately, put the beads in a ziplock with a Boveda.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
what kind of container are you using? The better container is a mesh bag, but just my 2 cents. I just dump a little distilled water on them and let the water soak into the beads. Then dry the baggie off with a paper towel and back in the humi.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Once you have it dialed in, Ive kind of worked out that two or three sprays in each of my containers = 1% lift in rh.

Alternately, put the beads in a ziplock with a Boveda.
I agree...beads in a ziploc is just a great friggin idea with a Boveda. Containers can be almost anything you can come up with...I use soap containers for humidors that are 200 count. Take a drill bit...smaller than the beads or KL you want to put inside...open the lid of the dish and put your stuff in...spritz and close. Ensure you drill the holes in the lid...not the bottom. Also, the idea with KL is to expose as much surface area as possible so make more than just a few holes in the lid...won't take you more than a minute to do this and you'll have a great container...they are less than $1 at the Dollar Store and you can buy as many as you need or have humidors.