What's new

Hydro accuracy

Crypto Sailor

Loose Lips Sink Ships
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Ron,

I have a vinotemp with 1lb of 65% beads and three digi hydros, all three have been salt tested approx 1hrs, do I need to leave them sit longer because I know the boveda one step kit states 36 hrs. Should I get a one step cal kit and redo the test? And will that one kit allow me to test all three hydros?

I just want this experience to be mostly stress free.

1. perfect science is 71/74
2. radio shack is 70/70
3. western digital is 72/77

V/r
Brian

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
the length of time that the salt test is performed is based upon 3 things. The amount of salt, the amount of water, and the volume of the test chamber. Another consideration is ratio of salt to water. So when doing the homemade salt test, there is some guesswork involved. I can tell you this, unless you have a very large amount of salt and water in a very small container, 1 hour is not enough.

I had a professional salt test chamber at one time. It might have held about 3 ounces in total. they had about 2 ounces on the salt/water mix in there, and only a very small amount of air to humidify. it would take about 1 hour to level off.

The science guys over at Humidipak have their calibration kit all figured out. They know how fast that the Humidipak reacts, they also know how the test time relates to the volume of the bag.

Just go with the Humidipak calibration bag. Do 1 hygro at a time. Put fresh batteries in the hydros. I know how to do the salt test correctly, but there is no reason for a do it yourself test when you have a premade kit like the Calibration bag.

Crypto Sailor

Loose Lips Sink Ships
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
i went ahead and purchased a one step kit...but how do I make sure my beads are working? do I need to make them all wet or leave the majority wet? I'm totally clueless when it comes to these things. I'm more of a computer/automotive guy...

V/r
Brian

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
i would start with dry beads (i assume you are talking about heartfelt beads). then start adding if need be.

Crypto Sailor

Loose Lips Sink Ships
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Ron,

I have another question I cal'd all 3 hydros and the humidity is up/down and I can't seem to get it the the range I want. In the top of the vino its 71, the middle it's 67 and bottom is 70. I've got the beads on every shelf along with the 2 oust fans top and bottom. The CO is in the bottom and set to 65. Is there anything else I can do to bring the humidity down closer to 65 at the top/bottom?

V/r
Brian

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
when you cool an environment, relative humidity goes up. so its a common thing to see humidity climb a bit as you cool your humidor.