What's new

Hydrometer, same as...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty much brand new to this site and eager to learn.

I have been toying with the idea of doing a tupperdor. However I am trying to make everything as cheap as possible and am having trouble finding a Hydrometer outside of cigar shops or even the internet.

So would a Thermometer/Humidity gauge not be the exact same thing? :squinteye

Please excuse my newbie question, I just keep looking for "Hydrometer" only to get no results or like 3, and "thermometer" pulls up like at least 5 useable options. Both are measuring the moisture in the air, not sure if one is somehow different from the other.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
HYGROMETER! Common mistake.

Save yourself some heartache, go to www.cigarsolutions.com or www.cigarmony.com and pick up one of the self-adjustable hygrometers they offer along with a Boveda One-Step Calibration Kit. I know you are trying to go budget as much as possible here, but you need the Boveda Kit no matter what you do so that you know what the hygrometer is truly reading. And at least with this option, you can set the hygrometer so that you don't have to worry about adding or subtracting from what it says to get to the REAL reading. Check out the Sticky in this subforum (Storage) on Seasoning and look for the recent post I did on hygrometers as well.

Good luck.

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
You can get one from WalMart, as I did, for about $8. Unfortunately, when I put it in the cooli with 65% beads and my Savoy hygro which read 65%, it was way off. Put it in my troublesome fridge to monitor the temp bc the freezer coils keep freezing up... IMHO, it's worth it to invest in a decent hygro.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
If you use Boveda packs in the tupperdor, you don't really need a hygromete... I trust boveda packs enough to say that!
Get yourself a nice size tupperware, with latches on the lid, throw a few sheets of cedar in there (get it at a cigar shop...free) And buy a few boveda packs (65% or 69%) and you'll be set!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wrote this at 3:00a, I had searched for Hygrometer, just spelled it wrong on here. I was just curious since I had heard of guys getting this stuff from Walmart and Lowes, and I stopped into Walmart and found neither.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I think some walmarts have them, some don't. I've read that they are hit or miss as far as accuracy goes. Some are dead on and others are as much as 7-8 percent off. The ones I've seen are also kind of big for a tupperdor.

I wouldn't bother with a hygro for a budget setup. Like Danilo said, grab some bovedas and you should be good to go.

But if you want one, cigar monster has them all the time. Look during the mashups at 11am and 11pm.

Last edited:

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
HYGROMETER! Common mistake.

Save yourself some heartache, go to www.cigarsolutions.com or www.cigarmony.com and pick up one of the self-adjustable hygrometers they offer along with a Boveda One-Step Calibration Kit. I know you are trying to go budget as much as possible here, but you need the Boveda Kit no matter what you do so that you know what the hygrometer is truly reading. And at least with this option, you can set the hygrometer so that you don't have to worry about adding or subtracting from what it says to get to the REAL reading. Check out the Sticky in this subforum (Storage) on Seasoning and look for the recent post I did on hygrometers as well.

Good luck.
2nd that advice! :thumbsup: