What's new

Hygrometer placement

Curmudgeon76

Robusto
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Just noticing today, that, after recharging and saturating my beads and placing them back in my humi, my RH readings were all over the place as I moved the hygro around in there.

At the moment, it's sitting on the bottom of the humi on the left side near my sticks. I have a cedar divider that came with my Montecristo Afrique. My beads are in a drawstring bag at the back of the humi on the right side of the divider. If I move the hygro to the right side of the divider, even if I move it to the front of the humi away from the beads, the RH slowly climbs up into the mid sixties (where it should be). However, if I place it on the left side, near my sticks, the humidity is sitting in the low 50's.

The humi is glass topped, so at the moment I don't have the hygro mounted to the inside of the lid with the magnet, it's just sitting on the bottom of the humidor so I can view the RH without opening the humi. Would I be better off mounting it to the lid or changing the placement for more accurate readings? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Justin

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
If you have the Montecristo Afrique humidor, I'd have a hard time believing that there's fluctuation in RH inside that box. I had that humidor at one time, there's no possible way there's a 10% difference in RH in that humidor.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
SOunds like you should put a fan in there.:headroll:

Just kidding. I remember seeig pic of your humi an i realize it's not big enough for all that.

I have no advice on this subject matter. Sorry.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I say remove the divider, and put the hygro right in the middle on top of your smokes. do you really need to divide your smokes?

Curmudgeon76

Robusto
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems weird to me too. I had it in the back left corner of the box, and the RH seemed to stabilize and stay around 53 percent. As an experiment, I moved it over to the side where the beads are (as I said they're in the back corner), and placed the hygro in the front right corner of the box. It's been about five minutes and the RH is now at 60 percent. When you had this box did you have the hygro mounted to the lid?

Justin

Curmudgeon76

Robusto
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I suppose I don't need the divider. Figured at some point it could be useful if I had a couple different brands in there, without wrappers on them, and wanted to keep the oils from the two different smokes from affecting one another, though not sure if that would even be necessary.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I had one, but in a box that small, i removed it and put it in the fridge a dor. I do not use a hygro in either of my small boxes, just beads. Maybe try using a little more beads, so the RH recovers more quickly. 65% beads will do thier job with out a hygro. If the humi leaks real bad then there may not be aanything you can do.

Curmudgeon76

Robusto
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will give it a shot. I'm going to first try reseasoning my humi then see about getting more beads. If I still have problems, might be time for a new box.

Also, when you say they will do the job without a hygro: I was under the impression the hygrometer just measured the relative humidity and temperature? I have no other humidification device in there besides beads, just the hygrometer to see if the beads are keeping the RH around 65%.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Also, when you say they will do the job without a hygro: I was under the impression the hygrometer just measured the relative humidity and temperature? I have no other humidification device in there besides beads, just the hygrometer to see if the beads are keeping the RH around 65%.
That's all true. They're just saying that the beads keep a constant humidity so well that the hygrometer isn't necessary. If they're 65% beads and they're sufficiently moist, the humidity will be 65%.

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Don't overthink this deal boys. Leave it alone for a couple of days, keep the lid shut, it should stabalize and have even RH in every corner. After wetting beads they will give off humidity if it was low to begin with. Your hygro will vary the closer to the beads you place it until the interior stabilizes. Once the RH is stable it won't matter where you put the hygro in a box of that size.
If still have problems after a couple of days you can then systematicly go about fixing them, most RH problems will disapear if you have sufficient beads and a fairly tight box given enough time.

Breath deep, slow down give em a chance to work.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Don't overthink this deal boys. Leave it alone for a couple of days, keep the lid shut, it should stabalize and have even RH in every corner. After wetting beads they will give off humidity if it was low to begin with. Your hygro will vary the closer to the beads you place it until the interior stabilizes. Once the RH is stable it won't matter where you put the hygro in a box of that size.
If still have problems after a couple of days you can then systematicly go about fixing them, most RH problems will disapear if you have sufficient beads and a fairly tight box given enough time.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Excellent advice.

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Excellent advice.
Young'ens have no patience......

Curmudgeon76

Robusto
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oneaday,

Your advice was spot on: it was simply because the humidity hadn't stabilized: after I left it awhile, it evened right out. My hygrometer has been tested twice, each time left for 48 hours. The First time I was at 76 and the second 75, so it seems to be nearly right on the money.

Also, I've decided to re-season and try to have some PATIENCE this time ;-) I put two Boveda 84% seasoning packets in there and have left it now for about 9 days without opening my humi: the humidity seems to fluctuate throughout the day: the highest it got is 70%, it then dropped down to 66 and now it's at 67. I will give it a full two weeks and drop the sticks in there, I also purchased another half ounce of beads so I'll try it with a full ounce in there and see how it goes.

Justin