What's new

hygrometers

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have 3 of the digital hygrometers. I calibrated them with the with the one step calibration kit. They are within 1% of where they are suppose to be. I put all 3 in my desktop humidor with 2 69% bovedas just to make sure they are all reading the same. 2 of them are within 1%, the other is 4 or 5% off. It reads 65 while the others read 68 and 69. But when I put it back in the bag to re calibrate it, it is at 75%, right where it is suppose to be. I don't understand how it can be that far off when it is calibrated right?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not cool!
So in the bag they all read pretty much the same but in the humi they differ much more?
You tried rotating them around in the humi right? To make sure it wasn't a circulation problem..

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is been going on for a couple months. I bought a new one couple months ago and been rotating things around us to see how they're working. The newest one even though it calibrates right is constantly lower in the humidor.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thinking about it. When you pay 20 bucks for these little things you think they would work a little better, I've never had good luck with them

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I guess I missed you stating that you've moved them around.

My only reason for asking, is that I had dead spots in a humidor myself. I placed 4 hygrometers in there at different locations, and 1 was always lagging behind.

SO I did have a similar solution, which is why I asked.

Good luck,
-Chrisso

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
404   0   0
I have 3 Xikar digital hygrometers and there is one of them that will not calibrate correctly. The other 2 will stay at 75% after hitting the calibrate button but the 3rd one will read 75% when I hit the button and then immediately go to 73% on the next cycle. I ended up just sticking a piece of tape on that one to indicate that it was off by 2%.

You would think being that Xikar is promoting itself as a premium accessory line they would have better QC on these but apparently not. The frustration that I encountered with this hygrometer soured me on the Xikar brand in general and I have subsequently purchased 2 Hygroset hygrometers. I have also avoided buying Xikar cutters and lighters and have primarily stuck with Colibri on those.

Apparently their hygrometers are not the only thing that need some additional QC either as the following link details. http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php/61850-2-trips-2-Xikars-give-me-trouble?highlight=stratosphere The couple of bucks that Xikar saved by having their stuff manufactured in China is certainly not worth it. I'm sure they made some extra profits but in the long run it is going to ruin their reputation. If you are going to charge me a premium price then act like a premium brand and give me a premium product

The wonderful thing about our free market system is that I get to vote with my dollars. Colibri and Hygroset get them now, not Xikar.

Sorry for the rant and the threadjack.

Rupe

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
I like xikar and have alot of their stuff, but have had a couple issues. I have three xikar hygrometers and I have one that has a similar problem to bdrupe, but xikar has a lifetime guarantee so I just need to send it to them and they will replace it. I primarily use my xikar lighter and cutter too and have had no issues with them, but might send my lighter in as well because it has started to act up every so often. Figure since I'm going to send them the hygrometer mine as well send that in too. However, my xikar cutter cuts better than my palio, which is surprising to me because everyone raves about how the palio is so much better. I think I might have got a dull palio or something, but palio offers the same lifetime guarantee so I will probably get that replaced eventually too...

anyways, just throwing in my two cents

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If you are looking for a pre-calibrate hygrometer, this is the rig I have been using: https://us.vwr.com/store/catalog/product.jsp?catalog_number=15551-258

Working in science has given me an appreciation for properly calibrated instruments. It might be a bit extreme, but I think my set up is well worth the accurate and reliable humidity temp reads. The unit supports 3 remote sending units (providing humidity and temperature readings), all transmitting via radio to the receiver unit. Accuracy is +/-1% for r.h., and the units are all calibrated from the factory according to an ISO standard.

I have transmitters in my two main humidors (two in my small cabinet at different shelf heights). It is pretty nice to have all three reads at one display. It even has the ability to set a alarm if the humidity or temp fluctuates between your specified values.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I cant speak to Xikar hygro's... but Ive got a couple of h-sets (one round, one rectangular).. and one generic wal-mart special... and I couldnt be happier.. the walmart (non adjustable) is in absolute lock step with the h-sets.. and the two h-sets have been dead on for a long while... no issues or problems at all..