What's new

I was not nuts.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I started smoking cigars about 6 mo. ago, and like most newbies I started with a small desktop humidor. I seasoned, slowly filled it and it was keeping a rock solid 67% RH for 2 months. Now here where the problems started, My RH started swinging from 40%-70% every few days....as a newer person I did everything I could to see if it was me or my new humi. I did the flashlight test in a dark room, the paper/dollar bill test, re-calibrated my hygrometer and gave offerings to the cigar gods I even went as far as re-seasoning the humidor getting a new hygrometer, new humidification device and taking out all of the sticks into a sealed tupperware with the gel jar and hygrometer to see if I could hold a solid RH in there (which it did). All signed pointed to a bad humi.....that is until while one day that I ended being home from work during the week and I caught one of my dogs using her nose to lift the lid of the desktop humidor, which was stored on the end table next to the couch, so she could smell what was in side. She did that 3 times that day. (I wanted to see if it was just a one time thing) Needless to say I solved my humi problem and I moved it up out of her reach, and it is rock solid again.

I just wanted to share, and hope people find it as amusing as I did.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
actually had one of my kittens make off with a VSG the other day! it was on the table before going into my sleeve, but still... quick fix: keep the lid weighted. statue or trophy or table-sized book. keeps the box closed, and shows evidence of tampering.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
haha great! I need to watch out for my cats, they knocked a humi of mine onto the ground one time and tore up a few of the cigars, looked like they were trying to eat them!...damn shitrats

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Now that is a funny story damn dogs. I smoke outside when done I will throw the nub inside the fire pit. My dog will get it out at night and chew on it. He is the damnest dog. My sisters dog will roll in the ash from a cigar.