What's new

I'm at my wit's end

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I’ll try to make this as short as I can, but I really need some input here.

I moved into my new apartment about 2 months ago. At my old place the temp in my humidors never read lower than 69 degrees and the humidity was never higher than 63%.

The first 2 weeks since moving in, the temp went down to 63-65 degrees and the humidity went up to 65%. But in the past month, the humidity reads no lower than 70-71%.

Since I had never replaced the batteries in my hygrometers, I went ahead and got them some fresh ones. At my old place, my hygrometers were off 2-3%. Since recalibrating using a Boveda kit, now one’s off 5% and the other 7%. I don’t understand how that could happen? :scratchhe

I haven’t added too many cigars lately, maybe a five pack every month or so and both my humidors are about 80% full.

Oh and here’s the kicker: my 50 ct humidor has no form of humidifying element in it; I took the beads out last month. My 175 ct has half of pound of completely dry beads in it, and there hasn't been a change in humidity. The beads are brand new and have been in there for 3 weeks.

I'm still not skilled to the point where I can touch my cigars and see if they're too wet or dry. And I'm afraid that seeing the humidity so high might be impairing my judgment when I check them for moisture.

How can I get the humidity down; what kind of options do I have?

Any thoughts and ideas greatly appreciated!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First, remember that the humidity is relative. The actualy amount of humidity in the box could be the same even if the percentage changes, just so long as there is also a change in temperature. I deal with customers everyday who freak out over a few percentage points when, often, the sticks are just fine. The real concerns would be an inability to maintain humidity for prolonged periods of time and a sudden increase or decrease in humidity. Otherwise, if they feel right and are smoking correctly you really should be fine. If you want to make sure, you my try finding a place in your new apt that's a bit warmer. If you can find a spot that's 69 degrees and the humidity still comes in around 63, then you are still good. You could then recalibrate (again) and take it from there.

It's my experience that most box fluctuations / issues come from over management by the owner. You have a big enough safe zone on both the temperature and humidity front (and either way, you're in that range, a bit dry some would say)that, unless you live in an excessively dry or wet climate, you will usually be in good shape.

Good luck with it. Hope all your gars are still super happy.

Rating - 94.5%
85   3   0
Where do you live, what is the humidity level there?

Are your sticks harder to light, not burning as well, or difficult to draw? Those are some of the indicators of a stick that is over humidified. I agree with the Reverend that this is not likely to be the case in your situation.

Your temperature is a non issue in my opinion, 63 is a bit low but not enough to worry about, it would be more worrisome if the temp shot up.

Try leaving your humidors open for a few hours or even overnight, close them with hygrometers in place and then wait at least a couple of hours before checking them again.

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
I have one cabinet with a cooling unit in it that is always creeping up to the 70's and I have 65% beads and want it to stay there. It seems to happen when I've had it open a lot like when rearanging etc. I put in a tub of Damp Rid for a day or so and it goes right back to where it belongs. Great stuff to have around.

Last edited:

Hardcore

BoM April '09
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
First, remember that the humidity is relative. The actualy amount of humidity in the box could be the same even if the percentage changes, just so long as there is also a change in temperature. I deal with customers everyday who freak out over a few percentage points when, often, the sticks are just fine. The real concerns would be an inability to maintain humidity for prolonged periods of time and a sudden increase or decrease in humidity. Otherwise, if they feel right and are smoking correctly you really should be fine. If you want to make sure, you my try finding a place in your new apt that's a bit warmer. If you can find a spot that's 69 degrees and the humidity still comes in around 63, then you are still good. You could then recalibrate (again) and take it from there.

It's my experience that most box fluctuations / issues come from over management by the owner. You have a big enough safe zone on both the temperature and humidity front (and either way, you're in that range, a bit dry some would say)that, unless you live in an excessively dry or wet climate, you will usually be in good shape.

Good luck with it. Hope all your gars are still super happy.
Stop by the introductions & tell us about yourself.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Hey everyone, thanks for the advice. I kinda freaked out at first but I have been noticing that my cigars are smoking fine. I also have noticed that my new place is a lot more humid than my old place and no that will affect the humidity in my humidor. Luckily, San Francisco doesn't get too hot during the summer so I don't worry about the temp too much but I will keep my eye on the humidity of this place.