What's new

Is 60/61 degrees acceptable?

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Hey fellas,

I recently received an Edgestar 28-bottle wine cooler and am in the process of converting it to a humidor. After a few days of it being plugged in, it has stabilized at 60/61 degrees. I have cranked on the knob towards the warmest level but that's it. I have 5 empty cigar boxes and beads in there.

I bought a timer at someone's recommendation but the RH level drastically drops when the cooler turns on so I have it constantly running to see what happens. I can set it to come on for 15 minutes but that is almost too long.

So is that temperature fine for long time storage and for smoking cigars now? I have read that is slows the aging but should be fine, but just wanted to see what opinions are out there... :computer:

n.olson

Veteran Eccentric
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
how many beads do you have in there? i have a full pound in mine, and i have yet to see the plummeting humidity that you are talking about. i know many botls have suggested a larger amount of beads to prevent this, basically giving the beads a fighting chance to rebound from the door opening and your fridge popping on. did you end up plugging your drain?

i keep mine under 65, just on the off chance of beetles. other than that, i'm not aging, so 60-65 generally.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I bought a cigar Oasis XL for that very reason--so now, as soon as the humidity starts to drop (after the cooler kicks on) the Cigar Oasis senses that more humidity is needed and kicks on. Keeps things very stable in my humidor.

So in my opinion, you're on the right track with the switch--but you're just not fully setup yet. You either need a lot more beads, or a Cigar Oasis XL.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Right now I have a pound of beads in there. But I just got another pound of HEARTFELT :)eyebrow:) beads in the mail today I will be loading up.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Euro style! I like them a bit drier... I have a problem keeping humidity out in the summers and in in the winters, I would be happy w/ 61

Rating - 98%
61   1   1
My vinotemp is rock solid at 65 degrees and with a pound of beads it's always right at 66%.

I am a happy camper.

61 should be fine... certainly better than the alternative.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I keep my humidor in the basement, anywhere from 55-65 degrees. No problems so far. Just make sure you keep the humidity up.