What's new

Isolating wineador

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Hi all - I've been contemplating this project for a bit so I'm coming to the experts (although my question may be more carpentry related).

Below is where I'm keeping my wineador. It's great in the summer, the temp never goes above 68. However last winter the temp down there hit 55 a few times when it got really cold and that's a bit cooler than I'd like, I'm hoping to keep it around 65. It's a big unfinished basement and we have no plans to finish and it's unheated. I was contemplating building a little tiny room just for the wineador and keeping a space heater in there to keep it around 65. Any thoughts on that? I'm not all that handy but it doesn't seem like a difficult job, especially because how it looks doesn't matter a whole lot.

I could bring the cigars upstairs during the winter but my wife doesn't like the way it looks, although she's willing to have it up there.

Or does anyone else have any less labor intensive ideas on how to surround my unit to put a spaceheater there and keep it at a good temp? Building a tiny room does seem like a bit much. set up 2.jpg

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Have you thought about just wrapping it in a big wool blanket. A space heater in a big room could get expensive.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
My basement is 54-64 year round. Holds mid 50's from December to March.

Haven't had any issues with cigar storage in the cool temperatures.

Don't worry about it, they cant feel the cold.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Only issue I see is the rh dropping with temp. I'm adding some ventilation to my basement tomorrow that the schmuck that lived here before should have done when he finished it. Just adding one return and two supply vents. Hope it makes a little difference. I keep my tupperdore down there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Thanks, guys, I appreciate the responses.

I'm not so sure I agree about it being too cold not having an effect on the cigars. I'm no scientist but I think relative humidity is relative to the temperature. So 67% RH at 65 degrees means there is more moisture in the air as compared to 67% at 55 degrees and less absolute moisture is probably bad for them in the long term. I don't think this would have too much of an effect for a winter or maybe two, but over the long haul for some of the cigars I'm aging I imagine this could result in some lost oils over time.

Rating - 100%
67   0   0
You beads or Kittle Little will have no challenge adjusting the rh as the temp drops. you could keep you cigars at 38 deg if you wanted to as long as the rh is managed( and some do)!!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks, guys, I appreciate the responses.

I'm not so sure I agree about it being too cold not having an effect on the cigars. I'm no scientist but I think relative humidity is relative to the temperature. So 67% RH at 65 degrees means there is more moisture in the air as compared to 67% at 55 degrees and less absolute moisture is probably bad for them in the long term. I don't think this would have too much of an effect for a winter or maybe two, but over the long haul for some of the cigars I'm aging I imagine this could result in some lost oils over time.
l have struggled with this issue for years. Most of what I read agrees with Tobacco Giant such as this link http://www.stogiefresh.info/edu-humidors/articles/temperature-humidity-part1.html , but last year I read a web page that explained why the change in temperature did not affect the absolute moisture content of the cigar. We must remember that cigars like 12% -14% moisture content which they will have in a 65% -70% RH environment. Can anyone point me back to a good scientific explanation as to why cooler temps do not affect the absolute moisture content of the tobacco?

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Hey Philly Giant do yourself a favor and just forget the idea of putting an unattended electric space heater in what amounts to a glorified closet. Cold cigars won't kill you. This idea could.
l have struggled with this issue for years. Most of what I read agrees with Tobacco Giant such as this link http://www.stogiefresh.info/edu-humidors/articles/temperature-humidity-part1.html , but last year I read a web page that explained why the change in temperature did not affect the absolute moisture content of the cigar. We must remember that cigars like 12% -14% moisture content which they will have in a 65% -70% RH environment. Can anyone point me back to a good scientific explanation as to why cooler temps do not affect the absolute moisture content of the tobacco?
Thanks, the article explained my thoughts in more detail than I could.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Have you thought about an terrarium heater? I know guys who use them in their freezadors to great effect.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Have you thought about an terrarium heater? I know guys who use them in their freezadors to great effect.
That's sounds like a pretty good idea. Just added my ventilation over the weekend. Haven't gotten a sense of how well it's going to heat the room as its been pretty warm. I have my tupperdore sitting pretty close to my beverage fridge to pick up a little warmth from that. Been at 67-68 vs 63-64.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Another suggestion would be to steal an idea from the home brewing brothers. For about 100 dollars you could buy a temperature controlling unit (Johnson controller) and a heating sheet/blanket. Place or tape the blanket on the inside of the humidor and when it gets too cold, the johnsons will kick on the heating element.

This is just an idea if you are set on having the right temp. I would set the Johnson no higher than 65/66 and then you would have some space for error without coming down and having your wineador at 80 degrees.