What's new

Johnson Control A419

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be nothing new to some of you but I thought I would pass the information along. My Wineidor project is based an a Frigidaire 34 bottle cooler. It has an analog control for temperature. The range of temperature that it will maintain is pretty narrow, about 52 - 58 degrees. In order to maintain a higher temps suitable for cigar storage I needed a way to adjust the temperature with more precision.

Johnson Controls A419 is an industrial programmable controller that is used to maintain a desired temperature. It has built in features designed specifically for refrigeration applications. Installation is simple and requires no change to existing electrical wiring of the wine cooler. Plug the controller into the outlet and plug the wine cooler into the controller. Install the A419 thermocouple inside the wine cooler. When the internal temperature of the wine cooler reaches "set-point" the A419 cuts power for x minutes (Anti-Short Cycle Delay) and then remains off until desired "temperature offset" is reached. Then power is returned to the cooler. Temperatures are programmed in 1 degree increments.

These run about $70 and are available from several sources on the internet. They are available with a variety of wiring harnesses. Make sure to order the one with 120v AC plug connectors for this application.

a419.jpg

forty

Last edited:

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
This is exactly what I was telling people about in chat one day. These have a remote sensing bulb that sits in the cabinet/fridge, and senses temp, then shuts down the unit if it gets to desired temp. If you buy something that just doesn't get warm enough, these are a perfect option to install to keep it at the desired temp.
THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS PRODUCT. I should have done this years ago....

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
That looks very similar to the Ranco ETC that many people use. I have one of those, and love how easy it was to setup.

wow - looks to be a much easier method than re-wiring. thanks for posting.
Rewiring? What were you planning to rewire? I'm working on converting mine to a full 12v system that never touches 120vac, but that hasn't proven to be very easy.

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Why are you looking to convert to 12VDC ? The only reason I would think would be for variable control ?
All you need is a 120-12VDC transformer. They aren't that expensive, and will work well.
Are you looking to tie it into an electronic humidification system or 12 VDC fans ?

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Why are you looking to convert to 12VDC ? The only reason I would think would be for variable control ?
All you need is a 120-12VDC transformer. They aren't that expensive, and will work well.
Are you looking to tie it into an electronic humidification system or 12 VDC fans ?
I know I answered your question in chat right after you posted it, but I'll respond here in case anyone else is wondering the same.

It's for our RV. When we move down the road (which is frequently) I don't have 120 power in the trailer behind me. The trailer itself does have 2 large deep cycle batteries, so my initial goal is to cut the 120 totally out of the system. We do have a generator on the trailer, but I'd prefer not to have to run it for 10-16 hours while we are driving. Currently I run a heavy duty extension cord from the vinotemp, out the trailer, and into the back seat of the truck where I have a 1500 watt power inverter. If I can't find a reasonable way to get a full 12v vinotemp set up, then I will resort to adding anotehr power inverter for the trailer itself.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I know I answered your question in chat right after you posted it, but I'll respond here in case anyone else is wondering the same.

It's for our RV. When we move down the road (which is frequently) I don't have 120 power in the trailer behind me. The trailer itself does have 2 large deep cycle batteries, so my initial goal is to cut the 120 totally out of the system. We do have a generator on the trailer, but I'd prefer not to have to run it for 10-16 hours while we are driving. Currently I run a heavy duty extension cord from the vinotemp, out the trailer, and into the back seat of the truck where I have a 1500 watt power inverter. If I can't find a reasonable way to get a full 12v vinotemp set up, then I will resort to adding anotehr power inverter for the trailer itself.
Damn, now that is commitment. A true inspiration.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the great recommendation on the controller. I plan to do a wineadoor set-up as a bridge to building a walk-in humidor in a house that we will be building in the next year or so. This seems to be an easy and elegant fix to what many have posted is a vexing issue of temp and humidification. Appreciate the input, brother.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
where do you mount the sensor? and did you just run it through the drain hole? i'm thinking since heat rises, i'd put it more toward the top of the wineador.

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
The space is so small, and the bulb is rather fast-acting, so anywhere you place it would be fine. I would put it mid-level to get a good average, but you really can't go wrong.
I imagine that if it is like regular 419's, that it will also have a time delay on make to keep the fridge from short cycling. The delay is usually 2 minutes, so if anyone goes out and buys one, don't freak out, it is perfectly fine. The control does this to keep the unit from shutting off and on too fast.

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0

I cannot remember far enough back to our conversation, but is the unit a thermo-electric, or a compressorized active cooling type unit ? If you have a compressor, there is no way to convert the Vino to 12 V as the compressor is built to run on 120V single phase only. If it is a thermo-electric plate style unit, you need to phone the manufacturer as I would imagine those plates are meant to only run on the 120 V electric current as well.
I do not believe you have a viable 12 VDC option.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
It is thermoelectric and the wiring diagram for the unit shows 12v going into the cooling unit. I had a wicked one getting the 12v etc to work, but a friend finally has it programmed. I need to test it out and get to chopping wires soon, but I should be ready to make it happen.