What's new

Just Thinking....

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
So like a lot of guys, I have faced the ever increasing need for storage. I have eye fucked the Avallo website for several years and while the DDD Plus is perfect, I just don't have the 5k to drop on storage, hence the reason I have a few $20 Tupperware storage containers. That said, my OCD would love nothing more to have all my Cigars in one place

I was in chat recently discussing the potential of rigging up a thermoelectric system to a regular cabinet and making it a DYI project. I am not overly inclined when it comes to carpentry but know a few people I could get to help and was told building the thermoelectric system would be pretty simple.

I was at home tonight I couldn't help but wonder if the answer wasn't right in front of me.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423201687.213588.jpg

I've had this for 3 years and it has never had more than a pair of shoes in it and the thing is solid wood. My thoughts are to have the shelves and drawers all converted to Spanish cedar with the same fronts. A few modifications would be needed to allow for air circulation and then figuring out a humidification system for it. .

The only thing I am concerned with is whether or not I would have to line the interior walls of the cabinet or not if the "guts" we're all converted to Spanish cedar.

This is just me thinking out loud at this point, but I can't help but think this project would be a fraction of the cost of buying anything close. The bulk of the cost would be converting the shelves and drawers.

Just wondering if my thinking is far fetched or if this seems like a feasible project.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
solid idea, but wouldn't the task of making it air tight be the most costly? or would having like a cigar oasis be enough of a humidification even with poor seal?

fyi i have no concept of woodworking, craftsmanship, etc.. hell, last thing i made was woodshop 8th grade, and all mechanical things i touch get broken worse (ex: motorcycle oil pan torquing the wrong way b/c i wasn't laying down lol)

i would also prefer something with a glass front so i can admire what i have constantly lol

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
From my experience if you are running active humidification you don't need to be overly concerned with it being air tight. I've been to plenty of shops that have drafty cabinets with sliding glass door displays that aren't air tight, get opened and closed all day long, sit for hours not fully closed and the cigars are just fine. I have plenty of hcm beads as well to help regulate humidity within the drawers.

Walter

Scott
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I have done something similar to this so that my humidor would match my bedroom furniture. The way I did mine though was to put a 48 bottle Vinotemp in the top and then line the bottom drawers with cedar and seal them off individually with a glass lid that seals directly to the liners.

The way your cabinet is made something like this may also work for you.

Last edited:

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
I have done something similar to this so that my humidor would match my bedroom furniture. The way I did mine though was to put a 48 bottle Vinotemp in the top and then line the bottom drawers with cedar and seal them off individually with a glass lid that seals directly to the liners.

Beautiful my friend

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
You might need to line it to help protect the frame from the humidity of an active humidifier; Some kind of vapor barrier. You could do Spanish cedar over that, but I'm not sure you would really need to. Would make it look nicer, I guess.

Instead of a vapor barrier and SC planks, you could probably use shellac and SC veneer, as well. Would be much more cost effective.

Also, don't forget about mahogany as an alternative to SC (re: Prometheus humidors).

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
I thinks its a great idea.
AND, I think you can buy the Accumonitor system from Avallo. (Is Ron C Still active here? He'd be the one to ask...)
Sealing would be a snap...My Avallo just has the same foam weather stripping available at a Lowes or Home Depot.
...Post pics as you go if you do it!

Rating - 100%
49   0   0

Very nice

ctmiller

Always Ashing!
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Incredible Humidor! You have given me some cool ideas. Thanks for the post.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Being solid wood I guess my concern is do I really need to line the entire interior or could I get by with just converting the shelves/drawers to Spanish cedar? I know some have "fronts" on their wineadors and don't have any issues.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Being solid wood I guess my concern is do I really need to line the entire interior or could I get by with just converting the shelves/drawers to Spanish cedar? I know some have "fronts" on their wineadors and don't have any issues.
Somewhere there are threads searching for Spanish cedar that resulted in a few online sources selling veneers. (I'm sure you have already thought of this...Just typing what comes to mind, lol)

Walter

Scott
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
walter's humidor is EMPTY! it must be a goal of botl to fill that sucker up so the poor old fellow has something decent to smoke!!!!
This should be a "thing"......,

... Wait...
If only there were some way to get cigars to him.....
The pictures that I posted are from several years ago when i first built this, there is now just exactly the right amount of cigars in there so lets get to the real point. Craig is building a new humidor, the sooner we help him figure out how he wants to build this, The sooner we can fill it up for him!!!
So let's get busy posting some ideas here and get this thread back on track and get this thing figured out and built.
Then we can have some fun.:)

Agentskull

BoM Feb 14
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
The pictures that I posted are from several years ago when i first built this, there is now just exactly the right amount of cigars in there so lets get to the real point. Craig is building a new humidor, the sooner we help him figure out how he wants to build this, The sooner we can fill it up for him!!!
So let's get busy posting some ideas here and get this thread back on track and get this thing figured out and built.
Then we can have some fun.:)
So let me get this straight. Craig has a cabinet he is going to convert (needs spanish cedar) to a cooling unit (needs a thermoelectric unit) and then he will have a new (more) space for him (us to send him) cigars.

Oh and he revived on of my favorite threads in BBE.

now this should be a thing.

Also glad to see you posting again @Walter hope all has been well

Walter

Scott
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
My ideas on this build when I look at this cabinet are treating it as a top and bottom due to the door not coming all the way down to the bottom. My suggestion would be to build drawer liners for the bottom drawers similar to these.

These would just slide down inside the existing drawers and it keeps you having to totally make new drawers, and still makes the entire inside spanish cedar so there's no issues with other woods or varnish contaminating your cigars.
To seal these off you can go to any company that does commercial glass work like office windows and they can cut your glass, grind your edges and even drill the holes for your handles.

I don't remember exactly what i paid to have these done but they were pretty inexpensive.
Add some weatherstripping around the edges and you'll get a perfect seal because it actually sits down on top of the liners.
After trying a couple different types I found that this kind worked the best for sealing off the drawers, and it was readily available at Lowes.

Weather stripping added

Throw in some humidification and the bottom 2 drawers are done.

Now for the top, I would simply remove these 2 drawers all together along with the shelves in the top.

This would give you an empty rectangular opening that would be very easy to line with spanish cedar. You could even build an insert something like used for the bottom drawers but big enough to cover the inside opening and simply turn it on its end with the opening facing out. Add some shelves and humidification and you're done. The only thing that wouldn't be spanish cedar would be the doors, I really don't think that little bit would hurt anything, like you said, lots of people use different woods for their drawer fronts. But if it concerned you, you could always put a 1/4 layer of cedar plywood on the inside.
These are just a few ideas I had while building mine and whether you use any of them or not, I hope they will help someone here in building their next humidor.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
First off, thanks for the replies
Secondly, this is purely in the "I had a few drinks and an idea hit me" stage, we've all been there...
Third, if this does happen I won't need any help filling it as I am looking to move all the various cigars from desktops, coolers and a wine fridge in to it

Agentskull

BoM Feb 14
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
First off, thanks for the replies
Secondly, this is purely in the "I had a few drinks and an idea hit me" stage, we've all been there...
Third, if this does happen I won't need any help filling it as I am looking to move all the various cigars from desktops, coolers and a wine fridge in to it
in all honesty. Mdwest was talking of the two conversions he has done. He might be able to help as well.