What's new

Keeping your humi cool in summer months?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick question.

Within a few months itll be about 90 degrees or more here in Georgia and ridiculous high humidty from about mid april through october and I was wondering how you all keep your humidor cool for those in warm climates.

The a/c stays at 76-78 in the house ( the wife doesnt like it cooler because of the increase in the bill ) and i would hate to ruin my stash either with beetles or something else.

I lack the funds for a wine cooler and do not have a basement nor a cold storage room.

I know when my father smoked cigars he didnt do anything other than make sure his humidor stayed at the proper rh and he never had beetles in the 10+ yrs he smoked cigars.

Just wondering before the warmer weather arrives so ill be prepared.

Thx

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Well having the house mid 70's doesn't sound bad because i believe the beatles hatch in the 80 degree range. The basic thing is make sure it's not near a window/exterior wall or get sunlight all day long.

keep and eye out on craigslist may be suprised some good deals to be had on vinotemps and edgestars. Where i live it's rare for the temp consitently hit 90's but last summer had a couple of heat waves so i just put my humi in a cooler with some ice packs during the day to keep em cool. no problem there are other people here who live in the south so they may have better advice for ya.

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I would second both SuprHasan and GP... the wineador is worth the investment, and if you can't/don't want to swing it now, I'd at least keep it on the radar as a future option. And if you can't swing the full conversion, there are units that go on craigslist for <$100, and you can just put your humi in it and worry about making the wine fridge a wineador at a later point.

For the time being... keep it out of sunlight, keep it in a dark place, etc. At one point I kept them in a closet that I knew stayed dark and cool - maybe the closet in a spare bedroom (have to be careful though, if the A/C doesn't get into the closet maybe it gets warmer?).