What's new

Kind of a newbie question

codemachine

Cigar n00b
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
As I've mentioned in other posts, I'm still trying to "find myself" in the cigar world and so buy sampler packs most of the time. The cigars all come individually wrapped in plastic sleeves. When I put these guys in the humi, should I be taking the wrappers off or leaving them on? TIA

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Uh oh. You're asking for it now :)

It's a matter of preference. Some like them on, some like them off. I leave mine on, I think it protects the wrappers of the cigars better (and if you ever had a beetle outbreak, it might limit the damage).

codemachine

Cigar n00b
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Heh, I've been going through some older threads and I started to pick out keywords like cello-on vs cello-off and it dawned on me they meant the cellophane wrappers. Guess this is one of those holy-war type subjects like Mac vs PC or Budweiser vs Bud Light. I guess my real concern was whether the cellophane insulated the sticks and made it harder for the humi to maintain their RH.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think it probably slows the transfer of moisture and temperature *a little* (maybe even not enough to notice), but if you're maintaining a good environment anyways, you shouldn't have much fluctuation. You're right -- it's kind of a holy war.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
The cello does not prevent the air/moisture from getting into the cigar. MOSt manufacturers place their cigars in a cello wrapper to keep the cigar safe and free from slight cuts, knicks, etc.

I personally have some cigars in the cello (My Opus X, some Padilla, Casa Toranos) but most of the time, I take off the cello. It is about preference though.

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
I started out removing all the cello, but now leave them on. Only exception to that rule is if I'm buying some good sticks to age, but already have some that have been aging. I take the cello off the older ones so I can tell them apart.

Altercall

I beat you all May '08 :)
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
It is a personal preference. I keep it how it comes. I'm a little low on empty boxes right now, so the cello helps to keeps the singles from getting damaged, as do the plastic bags. Some guys like the looks of a naked cigar in their humi, and more power to them. I don't mind the cello.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
It is a personal preference. I keep it how it comes. I'm a little low on empty boxes right now, so the cello helps to keeps the singles from getting damaged, as do the plastic bags. Some guys like the looks of a naked cigar in their humi, and more power to them. I don't mind the cello.
That makes two of us. it stays how it comes...The manufacturer put it ther for a reason. But you'll read all of this int h Cello vs cello thread.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I leave them how Carlito made them...

Did I mention the fact that I am a Fuente whore...

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Chuck gonna hurl chunks into the Chesapeake when he sees this one.
I believe that the best thing to do is carefully separate your cigars from the cello and then store the cello in a separate box. Whenever you take a cigar with you, carefully put it back in the cello. All cigars were meant to be smoked with the cello on for sanitary purposes.:pokemyeye

WhiteLightning

This is WhiteLightning!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I believe that the best thing to do is carefully separate your cigars from the cello and then store the cello in a separate box. Whenever you take a cigar with you, carefully put it back in the cello. All cigars were meant to be smoked with the cello on for sanitary purposes.:pokemyeye
:rofl:

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
It all depends on how lazy I am. I usually take the cello off though. Hell a lot of the boxes I've bought this past 12 months didn't even come with cello. I wish my box of Camacho 10th Annis did. I might not have ended up with five dicked up cigars. Also if you don't have box storage and need to squeeze the most out of your humidor taking the cello off creates a little room. It works in my 300ct floor humi that will get retired to singles and box left overs later in it's life.

drjammer

No More Elvis Trump
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to keep the cello on, I find that with the cello on I do not have very much splitting of the wrappers and it keeps my stash safe and sound:grin: