What's new

Leaky Humidor

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
My gf bought me my first humidor Xmas 2005, she bought it from a local cigar store that is goinmg out of business, I never really used it for one reason or theother but pulled it out to begin using it, recently.

It does not seem to have a solid seal to it, unless i keep the edges of the box damp so the wood swells, it leaks like a sieve.

Anyway I can fix this? Or do I just keep it and give the excuse to my gf that because she gave it to me AND it is my first humi I don't choose to use it for sentamental reasons?

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
do the dollar bill test. put a new dollar bill between the lid and base of humidor. close the desktop. try pulling the bill out of the humidor. should be hard to pull out. if its easy to pull out, you have a large gap. do the test around the whole lid. if you have a gap, try using some masking tape to fill in the gap.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
masking tape would be better. you can use multiple layers. if the tape gets too thick, the friction between the lid and base will wear it away till its a perfect fit. depending on the design of the humidor, you are looking to put the tape on the piece of wood that protrudes from the lid and goes into the base.

RobustoMoe

No1 CC blanket bomber
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ok guys,

Help needed here.

I've seasoned the humidor 3 times in 2 months (third one involved giving the damn thing a sponge bath). I used tape to tighten the seal when the lid is shut. I use beads (RH %70 - 100 cigars) plus I've added a regular small (circular) humidifier and still end up getting around %70 while the humidor is empty.

I ticked almost all of the boxes in my "what could be the cause" list and still the darn thing is refusing to stabilise at the recommended RH %80 "while empty". I have one thing to tackle though, the humidor is a glass top. Should I pop into the hardware shop and pick a silicon gun to seal the outer side of the glass ? :scratchhe You know just incase there is a leak ?