What's new

Liquor Store Humidor Rehab

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've posted a little about this already, here is the project so far. I bought a 46"x26" double door humidor off of Craigslist. He won it at a storage auction and before that it was in a liquor store.
Before_Closed.jpg Before_Open.jpg
Stripped everything out and took the doors off so I wouldn't break the glass.
No_Doors_Empty.jpg
Gave everything a quick sanding and put in my duct to move the air from the bottom to the shelves, the fan is speed adjustable and at about 60% power is very quite.
Duct_n_Fan.jpg
On a different thread I asked about the shelves and @sofc suggested angling, the top two, I decided to just angle the top one, but still think it works pretty well
Shelves.jpg
At this point it was time to rehab the doors. I'll show that in the next post.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The glass in the doors was held in with a hot glue gun, I used a razor blade to try and remove it, but managed to break both pieces of glass.
Hot_Glue.JPG
Did a tracing out the outline of one of pieces and took it to my glass shop, they did a great job and I like the thicker glass so much better I'm almost glad I broke the old stuff.
New_Glass.JPG

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cabinet had a hole drilled in the bottom to run the wire though, so I purchased a rubber bathtub stopper and trimmed the pull chain tab off the top and sliced it to allow for the wire to route thought it.
Wire_Plug.jpg
At this point I'm waiting on a replacement lock and a elbow latch to hold the doors shut. I have installed the new handles
Handles.JPG
I have the lights on and a pan of water plus the Oasis Plus to help season it.
Lights_n_Water.JPG
One thing I forgot to mention, the shelves are made from reclaimed red oak flooring from a house build in the 1930, so that wood is over 80 years old.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Damn, nice looking cabinet! I'm always amazed at how creative and hands on people can be when they really put their minds to it. Keep it up!

Austinoir

The luckiest guy in Shawshank
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've posted a little about this already, here is the project so far. I bought a 46"x26" double door humidor off of Craigslist. He won it at a storage auction and before that it was in a liquor store.
View attachment 83236 View attachment 83237
Stripped everything out and took the doors off so I wouldn't break the glass.
View attachment 83238
Gave everything a quick sanding and put in my duct to move the air from the bottom to the shelves, the fan is speed adjustable and at about 60% power is very quite.
View attachment 83239
On a different thread I asked about the shelves and @sofc suggested angling, the top two, I decided to just angle the top one, but still think it works pretty well
View attachment 83240
At this point it was time to rehab the doors. I'll show that in the next post.
Well done, so far. Very nice...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the humidity as high as 75% but it has been at 73% most of the weekend, and it was starting to smell really good, so I pulled the two empty trays to see it it was the cabinet or the trays that smelled so good. It still smells great, after months/years of not being humidified even after a light sanding there was not very much aroma from the cedar and I figured that was ok, I would get some from the trays and at least the lining would help with the moisture level. Well after a weekend of seasoning it is really recovering from all that neglect, getting anxious to start loading it, and the email from UPS that my order is going to be two days early isn't helping.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after weeks of messing with it I've mounted a magnetic catch on the top of the right door, and a 40# catch on the bottom of the left door and I am happy with the seal. I have it loaded up with most of my sticks and will be adding a few more in the next week.
Full2.JPG

Last edited: