What's new

Lockable "Coolidor" build

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, long time lurker but thought I'd share what I built after reading all the advice here.

I wanted a humidor that was lockable and didn't look like a humidor. Humidor furniture/endtables were too expensive
and wife would say no.

So I found a Plano Storage Tub 56qt on amazon for $21. It has four lock points.
Thoroughly cleaned the inside and lined it with spanish cedar planks.
Put some humidity beads in a mesh bag and placed in a small narrow but long basket along one side.

I went to my local cigar shop (where I got the cedar planks) and took home a bunch of cedar cigar boxes.
I thought about putting the boxes whole with cigars inside but decided against to promote air flow.

I pulled the boxes apart and used the bottoms for a single layer of cigars. This way I could stack them
and the box bottoms wouldn't press against the cigars (what happened when I had 2 layers of cigar
per box bottom). I tried to use the tops of the boxes as trays too, but they were to shallow to protect
the cigars.

Placed a hygrometer at the top edge of the box and placed some cheap sticks along with the boxes,
a week later am maintaining RH and temp. Figure it can hold about 150-200 cigars in stacked trays.
Can hold a huge number more if I simply made or purchased larger boxes, but I'm happy with it so far.

Big bonus, lockable, so kids don't get into it and it doesn't scream humidor sitting in the corner of
my mancave. I have a much smaller "decoy" humidor with a few sticks in it as well.

Thanks for all the advice.

-T

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
T,

Might want to stop by and introduce yourself in the introduction threads first!

Sure would like to see some pics of that cooler though! I have a nearly 3yr old who likes to open my winedors at random, and obviously, thats no bueno.....

Regards,
-Chrisso

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20130919_234220.jpg20130919_234419.jpg

It has 4 lock points, I only use 2. Domestics on one side, Habanos on the other.
My space isn't used efficiently, but it's more than enough for the time being.

I do open it every few days, so no interior fan, but I didn't want to drill and add
anything electric to it as it would lose some of its stealthiness.

Cheers,

T