What's new

Mini Cedar Chest Humidor

Rating - 98.7%
91   1   2
Bought this mini cedar chest at a local flea market. Was wondering if I can convert it and make it into a humidor? I've been using it to store some odds and ends for the time being. It's a good size and would hold a lot of sticks if I could convert it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for the help!

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
Is it cedar or Spanish cedar? If not Spanish then you could line it for cheap. Only big draw back is that it does not look like it has a good seal from pic. You could put thin line of foam or something like that to seal in rh though. Cool chest.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
consider breaking down some cigar boxes and using them to line your treasure chest (I did this last year on one of my traveldors (18 count).. worked like a champ.. I just found some boxes that had roughly the same dimensions.. and then cut them down to fit.. it took 4 different boxes for me to get panels to fit my top, bottom, and 4 sides.. but I got it to work..

for a seal.. a simple strip of 1/8" weather stripping all the way around either the top or the bottom.. and youll be sealed up as well as most humidors.. especially if the top has any weight to it.. if you want to get really fancy you can use a router attachment on a dremmel tool to make a 1/8" wide x 1/16" deep channel along the surface to put the weather strip into.. but I dont think thats totally necessary (although it would look nicer and likely seal up slightly better..)...

Rating - 98.7%
91   1   2
consider breaking down some cigar boxes and using them to line your treasure chest (I did this last year on one of my traveldors (18 count).. worked like a champ.. I just found some boxes that had roughly the same dimensions.. and then cut them down to fit.. it took 4 different boxes for me to get panels to fit my top, bottom, and 4 sides.. but I got it to work..

for a seal.. a simple strip of 1/8" weather stripping all the way around either the top or the bottom.. and youll be sealed up as well as most humidors.. especially if the top has any weight to it.. if you want to get really fancy you can use a router attachment on a dremmel tool to make a 1/8" wide x 1/16" deep channel along the surface to put the weather strip into.. but I dont think thats totally necessary (although it would look nicer and likely seal up slightly better..)...
Thanks, didn't think about using old boxes. Thanks for the idea I'll have to try it. Did you glue em in your travel humidor? If so, what kind of glue did you use?

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I just used my wife's hot glue gun and a regular stick of glue.. Worked great .. Wood stuck well to the plastic... And no odor at all...

Rating - 98.7%
91   1   2
Ya I saw on another thread that hot glue works good. I'm gonna have to try this. I'd like to get a tray made for it. If I could get this done it would hold a good amount of sticks.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
build your interior walls up to 2" below the top of the bottom section of the box... creating a think ledge all the way around it (the ledge will be the width of whatever the material you use from cigar boxes for lining)..

then send Forrest at wineadors.com an email giving him the dimensions of a custom tray that will rest on the ledges you have created... Im guessing you can get a custom tray done, with shipping included, for something the size of that box.. for about $20..

youll be set.. :)