What's new

Mini Humidor low cost

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
photo_2.JPGphoto_3.JPGHi all ,
new to the forum but i figured id post my new creation on here and see what you think about it ...im gonna go from start to finish and include construction pics ...so here i go
picked this wine fridge up from lowes for a cheap amount as i am on a very tight budget .. ya know student loans , a mortgage , bills , credit debt etc.. the list goes on but onto something else id rather speak .. something that brings joy ...here is what she looks like , she is a Candor 8 bottle Thermoelectric wine fridge , has 4 shelves digital temp gauge farenheight and celsius , no drain plug and about 10" wide by 12" deep and 17" or so tall .. approx 180-230 ct storage with my custom draws i made. here it is

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still learning the site lol .. trying to delete them pics so i can leave some suspense lol!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im gonna include some pics of me starting to build the shelving .... sorry no cleaning with the DW and baking soda pics .. a pre requisite when buying one of these along with the newspaper for a few days to get the plastic smell out .... here is my cut listphoto_4.JPGphoto_7.JPGphoto_9.JPG11.JPG

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is a fitment of the lower shelving just to get a proper fitment for the shelf bottoms photo_12.JPGphoto_13.JPGphoto_14.JPGphoto11.JPG

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so from here on out it was a weekend in the basement building these shelves out of 1/4 " cedar and let me say it was a very fun build ....i found out later in the build cause of a mistake in human error i made that the inside of the wine fridge tapered so lets say i had 3 shelves all built that had to be shrunk width wise by 1/2" ....it was fun i will say .... so i took a 1 - 1/2" hole saw and made all these venting holes for less airflow restriction and a lil elmers wood glue ( stuff is super strong amazed me ) trust me on that one ! k.JPGl.JPGn.JPGx.JPG

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Welcome to the site, nice little project there. I have one of those i found on Craigslist but didn't work out. I'm now working on one just a little bit larger.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so this is actually my first wineador ... had 2 other humidors but nothing like this so ill continue with my build .. time will tell if it will work out or not i know collecting will become a factor in my size choice thats for sure ... but then again i only have a 50ct right now till this ... so here is the shelving going inView attachment 40139View attachment 40140View attachment 40141View attachment 40142View attachment 40143View attachment 40144View attachment 40145View attachment 40146View attachment 40147View attachment 40148

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I have a build thread here on it. Basically I bought it without any of the guts and thought I could still keep it cool enough to work in my garage. I had a hard time keeping the temp down so I can't use it till winter comes again. I found a working one that is double the size for$40.

Is that Spanish cedar your using?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is actualy western cedar the same plant/tree but grown in the USA in the western hemisphere .. where do you live ? geographically ?
im in new england and buddy had his in the garage and hes having a hard time as well ... from what i hear is if the ambient temp is more then 10 degress +or - then the wine cooler will be very hard to maintainthe temps... he had his in the basement and mine is in my room and seems to be good so far .... what brand was yours ?

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this site is acting weird i saved all those images the same way and then they show as attachments ??? wt ?

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
404   0   0
First let me say that this build looks awesome!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think that you have made a mistake with your build. When you are dealing with cigars, you always want to use Spanish cedar, not western cedar. Spanish cedar is a completely different tree that is actually a type of mahogany, rather than cedar. It holds moisture much better and prevents the spread of tobacco beetles. Virtually all commercially made humidors are lined with Spanish cedar and all cigar boxes are either made with it or sheets of it are added.

Western cedar (like you used) is more aromatic and can end up adding an undesirable taste to your cigars if they are stored for any amount of time. It also does not hold moisture as well. For a better explanation than I can provide you may want to check out the following link. http://www.humidor-guide.com/humidor-construction/spanish-cedar-in-humidors

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
it is actualy western cedar the same plant/tree but grown in the USA in the western hemisphere .. where do you live ? geographically ?
im in new england and buddy had his in the garage and hes having a hard time as well ... from what i hear is if the ambient temp is more then 10 degress +or - then the wine cooler will be very hard to maintainthe temps... he had his in the basement and mine is in my room and seems to be good so far .... what brand was yours ?
I'm in Southern California so the temps get a little hot out here, my garage can get up to 90* in the summer time so I need a working cooler. This one doesn't have any of the mechanics to cool and figured I could just use it as storage. It's a Vinetempo 6 bottle cooler, the one I'm getting today is a 2 storage 14 bottle.

First let me say that this build looks awesome!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think that you have made a mistake with your build. When you are dealing with cigars, you always want to use Spanish cedar, not western cedar. Spanish cedar is a completely different tree that is actually a type of mahogany, rather than cedar. It holds moisture much better and prevents the spread of tobacco beetles. Virtually all commercially made humidors are lined with Spanish cedar and all cigar boxes are either made with it or sheets of it are added.

Western cedar (like you used) is more aromatic and can end up adding an undesirable taste to your cigars if they are stored for any amount of time. It also does not hold moisture as well. For a better explanation than I can provide you may want to check out the following link. http://www.humidor-guide.com/humidor-construction/spanish-cedar-in-humidors
This is the correct info I was looking for.