What's new

Mold in the humi????

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I went to a party tonight. A Friend wanted me to take a look at his cigar collection. While looking at his fairly descent selection of stoogies I noticed he had some mold growing in the corner of his humi. He admitted to not maintaining his cigars properly. He ran out of distilled water, so he started using tap water for the last 2 months. Big no no!

I took his humi home with me and promised to get it back in shape for him. I slopped the humi with distilled water and scrubbed it with a toothbrush to remove the mold. I don't' see any of the mold on any of the cigars. About 20% are so dried out they are falling apart. I don't want to mix his cigars with mine, so I put them in plastic bags and put the bags in one of my humi's. That should be safe enough right?

I just used a sponge and wiped it down with a 50/50 solution of distilled water and propylene glycol. I know propylene glycol helps to prevent mold, but will this combo kill mold?

I plan on leaving his cigars out for about a week. Do you think this is effective treatment or should I be doing something else on top of this to kill the mold? Does mold usually grow in the humi before it grows on the sticks?

I am also going add beads after the treatment is done for easier care.

Please share your thoughts? I have never had a mold issue.

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
When I have seen mold in a humi (on the wood itself) it is usually because something was spilled in the humi. Liquid was actually lying in the humi, I would ask him about it. The only other thing I might do is to wipe it down with alcohol to ensure you got all the mold.

Virgeinadeaux

Virgeinadeaux
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
When I have seen mold in a humi (on the wood itself) it is usually because something was spilled in the humi. Liquid was actually lying in the humi, I would ask him about it. The only other thing I might do is to wipe it down with alcohol to ensure you got all the mold.
What Larry said, it’s the best advice!

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I would wipe it out with a slightly moist towel, and then let it dry in the sun or at least a warm area, fullly open. I'm worrie dthat adding to much water or liquid directly to the wood, might cause the wood to swell and warp. We just need to make sure the spores are out of it, and that he has beads for the future.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Michael,

Yes, rubbing alcohol (the stuff you buy at the store) will work fine.

If you added water ("sloped the humi with distilled water") AND then scruubed it with a 50/50 solution of distilled water and propylene glycol, then you next move is to ensure that it's not TOO wet to add the cigars back in.

Especially if some of the ones you removed are really dry. Last thing you want to do is effectively remove the mold, and then have his cigars explode from absorbing an over humidified humi.

Toss a reliable hygrometer in there, or a couple for safe measure and monitor the RH before you put any stogies back in there.

Hope this helps!

Call me if you need to.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Alcohol, I use that on everything as far as germs are concerned. it's like 99.9% effective can't go wrong, and it dries clean no residue.

p.s mold in humi, I hope I never...ever...ever..ever have that problem!

*Thanks for posting Cowboy!*

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
OK I applied the alcohol to the areas that were moldy with a q-tip. I wiped it down again with the propylene glycol solution and set it in the sun. It was completely dry in about 20 minutes.

I lightly applied one more coat of propylene glycol solution with a sponge, added beads and a digital hygrometer. I will let sit over night to make sure the humidity is not greater than 70% (70% beads are all I had left).

After closer inspection of the cigars I did find some mold on about 5 sticks. I plan on replacing those moldy sticks with some better sticks and the Humi should be ready to return.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Ouch man! Be careful because that mold is one deadly customer, you don't want to get that in your system no where near your mouth especially. Mold, bacteria, fungi all the same can mess you up pretty bad just double check to make sure no more were hit!
just in case.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Why are you replacing the moldy sticks if they belong to your friend?

Hmmmmm...............A "friend's" humidor, huh Michael?

Doubt doubt doubt...

:stretchgr