What's new

mold on humidifier?

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Hey ladies and gents, got a question. I searched the threads and did not find one specific to this question. Several months ago I noticed what appeared to be mold on the humidifier. I trashed the humidifier, sanded down the entire humidor and placed a brand new humidifier in there. Well, looks like it's happening again. Temp isn't getting above 70-75 in the room to the best of my knowledge, no direct sunlight and normally using filtered water. I recently charged it with PG. I'm assuming it's mold. I't doesn't look like mold on a cigar, it kinda looks like little hairs in some of the spaces in the humidifier. Any help?

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
No filtered water. Go buy some distilled water (they sell it for babies or irons. Never the distilled but drinkable one). Mold actually thrives in low light, but what it really comes from is high RH. Switch to beads. :thumbsup:

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
If you are using the green florist foam (Not sure what its called) toss it, I have no idea how that can ever properly maintain humidity. It just holds moisture and lets it out, it doesn't re-absorb it if there is too much. Go with 65% beads or Boveda packs.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
A friend asked me that exact same question last night. Tis only a theory but I'm thinking it has something to do with the PG solution. I used to use florist green and never had this problem, I also never used PG. I would happen to agree with Moro and say switch to beads, however, if you have to stay with the florist green you might try mixing a couple drops of bleach in next time you charge it. I would think that such a low concentration wouldn't affect the cigars (although it also might not solve the problem).

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
it looks like this

I bought it from cheaphumidors on e bay. It said it was gel beads but I'm pretty sure its the florist foam. I see Humi-Care makes a crystal gel humidifier that'll fit in the rectangle space? I need to get some circle digital hygro's, still on analog. Would love a cigar oasis ultra or other electronic humidifier but can't spend the money on it! Stuck between a rock and a hard place, huh?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The evolution of my boxes has been ... florist foam (no control whatsoever) ... Xikar crystal gel (better control but bad response to temperature variations) ... beads :)inlove:). What size humidor are we talking about? I've always felt that electronic humidifiers were only appropriate in rather large spaces (of course I'm no expert).

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I have two 100 cap humi's. The Oasis ultra is made for humi's that size if I'm not mistaken, fits right into that rectangular gap. I'm pretty sure the humidifier I have, which is posted above, is the foam stuff.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
The gel sucks too IMO. It will get moldy. Buy beads and there is no real need for a hygro. Beads I guess would be the key here lol

funkejj

BoM December 09
Rating - 100%
255   0   0
a couple of years ago I had the foam and it grew mold and I pitched it and started over fresh with the Boveda packs. Mold in a huimdor is the scariest thing that has ever happened to me. And it has happened twice.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
beads are a silica gel product. good beads are treated with a salt solution. thats what locks them in at a certain humidity level.

gel crystals initially will be small in size like a silica bead. But then cigar smokers add humidor solution, and the crystals will absorb the solution. the crystals swell, and wind up looking like small pieces of clear jello. about the size of a pea. the crystals will hold at about a 70% humdity level when used with the humidor solution. Drymistat tubes were the first gel humdifier.

whats better? depends on the situation.