What's new

Moldy Cigar in my Tupperdor!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, it has finally happened to me. I have kept this small tupperdor (holds about 30 cigars) for a few years now with two 65% boveda packs, a properly calibrated hygrometer and an always (even in winter, i love it cold) air conditioned bedroom.

Looking through my cigars to pick one out tonight I noticed that one Partagas 160 has a very small amount of white mold on the body and a bit on the foot as well. I have thrown this cigar away and none of the other cigars in that tupperdor have any at all. I have two 160s and they were in the same open ziploc in the humi so i dry boxed the other as it had no mold.

I've searched relentlessly on this topic here and other forums but just wanted more advice so please excuse me if this topic has been discussed ad nauseam. I'm just in a hurry to save the other sticks...I mean I've got some Le Verites, etc that I would cry if I had to toss.

So, after the long winded explanation......should I remove everything from that tupperdor and put them in another? (I have another one with more sticks) Or would that just be inviting mold to the other humi?

SuprHasan

I'm finished with cigars
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I'd just isolate the other cigar for a while and see if it's ok. If nothing show up after a cafeful inspection, toss it back with the others.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I am a home inspector and i do mold testing at houses. I am sure this is a little different but but mold can stay dorment for a long time when removed from a moist enviroment. When mousture is reinterduced to the mold spores it can grow again. So if you do dry box and dont see anything pay close attention when you put the cigar back in the humidor keep a close eye on it for a couple of days as mold can grow and spread quit quikly

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
See...This is where I disagree with alot of the brothers on here. I say you still need a little airflow in the humi. NOT AIR TIGHT!! Wood still breaths so it's better than a tupperdor or a coolerdor. I had this happen when I first started out and now I leave a small crack open on thoes containers. In the two years I've used them I've never had mold again and my cigars have been perfect to smoke. Just my 2 pennies!!:cbig:

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
See...This is where I disagree with alot of the brothers on here. I say you still need a little airflow in the humi. NOT AIR TIGHT!! Wood still breaths so it's better than a tupperdor or a coolerdor. I had this happen when I first started out and now I leave a small crack open on thoes containers. In the two years I've used them I've never had mold again and my cigars have been perfect to smoke. Just my 2 pennies!!:cbig:
I would be surprised if you can find me 2 posts that say you should have an AIR TIGHT storage environment. Everyone suggestion for a Tupperware container comes with the disclaimer, to open it once a week to get airflow. Just saying, I don't think you disagree on this matter, but rather agree.

And dang man, a bit of mold only requires you to wipe it off. That 160 would have been smoked by me, had I found it.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
I would be surprised if you can find me 2 posts that say you should have an AIR TIGHT storage environment. Everyone suggestion for a Tupperware container comes with the disclaimer, to open it once a week to get airflow. Just saying, I don't think you disagree on this matter, but rather agree.

And dang man, a bit of mold only requires you to wipe it off. That 160 would have been smoked by me, had I found it.
Well, I do know that I read under how to make one it said air tight seal
However I may have missed the disclaimer. So my bad! And when I was building them two years ago for an overflow that's what I was told.
Guess I need to apologize and re read the current thread on this subject.

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
Yep, sounds like you need to smoke more. I open my wine-a-dor at least once per day. :headroll:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies everyone. I actually do open the thing just about every day. At the very least every other day, which is why this is surprising to me. However, I'm all for smoking more if that will help :grin:

I hear ya, but I have always read/heard to not smoke em if the mold is on the foot as you can't know how far up in the cigar it is. If it weren't on the foot it would have been smoked for sure! Am I wrong in thinking this?

Also, I've done the dollar bill thing with it and it slips through with slight resistance. Doesn't seem completely air-tight at all.