What's new

Moving Frozen Cigars To Humidor

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought four boxes of inexpensive cigars to enjoy while cutting grass. I put them in the freezer for five days to kill any unwanted visitors (as I've read others have done). My question: what's the best method of loading 80 frozen cigars into my desktop humidor?

Any information would be appreciated.

Ron

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I thawed mine in the veggie drawer for another day, Then just added them back to the humi. Realize, they need about another 2-4 weeks to settle back down. These being less expensive Yard-gars, it may not make a difference to you. I froze everything I had, as i found an unwanted visitor. The sticks I smoked for the first week or so did not smoke well at all. So I just stuck to the pipe for a bit. 45-60 days later everything is great. good luck

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
tobacco beetles. you'll see small holes in the side of your smokes, and /or dark brown/black dust in your humi or cello. I now freeze everything before it goes in the humi.

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I just bought four boxes of inexpensive cigars to enjoy while cutting grass. I put them in the freezer for five days to kill any unwanted visitors (as I've read others have done). My question: what's the best method of loading 80 frozen cigars into my desktop humidor?

Any information would be appreciated.

Ron
Let em thaw in the refridge for a couple of days (some say a couple of days in the crisper and a couple more in the main compartment:dunno:)and then put em in your humi.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let em thaw in the refridge for a couple of days (some say a couple of days in the crisper and a couple more in the main compartment:dunno:)and then put em in your humi.
What he said, but I'd let 'em sit out long enough to hit room temp before putting 'em in my box.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel much better now that I know the right way to get my cigars from the freezer to the frig.

Thanks for the help everyone. I really enjoy coming here.

Ron

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Isn't the humidity too low in the refrigerator do any of this?
They are putting their cigars in the freezer to kill beetles. There are some vendors out there that freeze every box in their inventory, so it is done before you even get them. Some guys freeze every box before putting them in their humi. I used to do this, but not anymore. I keep the temperature below 70 and haven't had a problem. Only once did I have a beetle and it was from a gifted cigar and contained because I keep my cigars in plastic bags.

It's important to note that you need to use several layers of plastic to wrap your boxes in when you freeze them, otherwise they can get the effects of freezer burn. And the temperature needs to get pretty low also. Most refigerator/freezer units don't get low enough to completely take care of all beetles. You need to use a deep freeze unit.

The cigars need to be frozen and thawed slowly in order for them to not have wrapper issues later. Rapid freezing and thawing is going to cause cracks and tears in the wrapper. Take several days to freeze them, several days frozen, and several days to thaw.