What's new

my first humidor pls help~

Rockcigar

motorcycleXcigarXguitar
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dear all BOTL,

As I am still new to cigars, I do not have a humidor at my own place; however, after 6-7 months of puffing, I would like to get a desktop humidor.

I have no idea of which brand / model is good, can please anyone can sugget me a few??? I am looking for a desktop humidor to store around 70-100 cigars. Also do I have to purchase the humidification system + hygrometers + etc...?

Thank you very much~!! :waving:

Rockcigar

motorcycleXcigarXguitar
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at this momet i only put my cigars into a sealable glass jar

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I've had a Savoy 50 count for a few years now, and it works great. Just make sure you look for one that seals the air out - close it fast and listen and feel for a "whoosh" of air coming out. Also, heavier is better. Go to a reputable B&M store to look for one, don't order your first online - you can get stuck with a "second" that doesn't work as well. There are also great resources online regarding starting a humidor and how to season it. PM me and I can get you some links.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
If cost is an issue, You could start with a tupperware container. Buy some heartfelt beads from one of the sponsors here, and a hygrometer you can calibrate. This will help you spread out the costs of buy everything at once. There are god deals online for humidors, but you B&m is nice because you can check them first. Either way be sure it does have a good seal and be sure it is seasoned properly.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I did the tupperware thing for almost two years and it worked pretty good. It was simple until I figured out what I wanted to do. Those things will hold humidity for ever.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
For starting out, maybe Ashton's Savoy humidors would be the best route. Very inexpensive, good array of different size boxes and it'll do just fine until you have collected a larger number of sticks and you eed to upgrade.

Humidification is very important too. I like Xikar/Madelaine humidifiers for my three desktops. I live in Arizona, so I have a Xikar 250ct. humidifier in my 160ct. humidor and a Xikar 100ct. humidifier in my 60ct. humidor...my other 100ct. humidor has an Ashton humidifier, which also works fine. I'd stay away from Savoy humidifiers though - personal opinion.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Before I buy anything I like to check with our sponsors to see what they may have.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
If cost is an issue, You could start with a tupperware container. Buy some heartfelt beads from one of the sponsors here, and a hygrometer you can calibrate. This will help you spread out the costs of buy everything at once.
I vote for this one too if cost is an issue at all. If cost isn't an issue, then go with CWS's advice.

Rockcigar

motorcycleXcigarXguitar
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank to all your replies, these are really helpfully information for a newbie like me.

Moro:
I read through all those links provided up there, they are great~!~!!

Since there are not much cheap/inexpensive humidors selling here in where I live, if I want an average price humidor, I have to order from USA, then the shipping cost may even over the humidor's price itself..... At this moment, maybe I should start with a tubberware + Beads, until I figured out what I wanted to do.

Thanks to all help, you guys are great~!!! :applause:

Rockcigar

motorcycleXcigarXguitar
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CWS, for sure at least I will order beads from our sponsor here~ :skew:

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have come across 3 different analog hygrometers in as many weeks from 2 different humidor sellers that were bad.

Definitely go with the digital and preferably one that is adjustable. Heartfelt even provides a calibration kit for nominal fee. Well worth the money

Rockcigar

motorcycleXcigarXguitar
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this out. He is pretty close to me, but how much is it going to cost to ship it?

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/for/892949408.html

Thank you for the link. I checked with some websites who are selling humidors, they quoted me the shipping rate range from $120 - $260, that's way too much, i guess that because of the weight of humidor is too heavy AND I am living too far from USA. :wtf:

Now, my plan is purchase digital humidimeters & Beads from our sponors here, and use them with tupperware. I will wait until next year to buy my humidor when i come to visit USA during my vacation. :clap:

Rockcigar

motorcycleXcigarXguitar
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Well, I'm glad to help, but I merely gave ye info other brothers have given us, so I'd thank them. :thumbsup:

Rockcigar

motorcycleXcigarXguitar
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, i am also considering the option of coolerdor, let me check out how big a tupperwear I can get here first :)