What's new

My first humidor

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my first humidor ever came from Thompson last week. Its (as far as i know) not a "cheapy" so i am operating under the assumption that it is going to do its job correctly. I bought this:

.thompsoncigar.com/product/BARREL-HUMIDOR-PLUS-THOMPSON-GREEN-LABEL-NATURAL-CORONA-COMBO/78490.uts

just add the W's to the front of that. it wont let me post a link due to my low post count.

So, the day i got it, i had already done a little bit of research and i seasoned the humidor using the "sponge the wood down with distilled water, fill the hydration thing, then leave the sponge and the hydrator in the humidor with the sponge on a plastic bag." method.

Well, the humidity shot up to 89% and stayed there, so after the 3rd day i removed the sponge and locked the humidor back up. 4 days later, i am still seeing 89% humidity on the digital hygro. Temp has maintained between 58-65 degrees. (things should warm up once i get the wood stove burning on a regular basis.)

I know i cant store my cigars in that kind of humidity. they are sitting next to the humidor in their nice cellophane wrappers, hopefully not drying out, although here in the high desert of nevada everything under the sun dries out.

Am i missing something? ive never owned a humidor before, and (until recently) ive never smoked nicer cigars than a pouch of wild and milds from the gas station. Any advice on getting my box down between 65-70 % RH (and how to maintain that)would be awesome.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Get a boveda calibration pack, they are about 3-5 bucks. You can accurately calibrate your hygro. Thats the first step.

As far as the damage done, you need to leave the humidor open for several days, and let it air out. The sponge method is bad.

You should use a cotton cloth, mildly damp with distilled water. Wipe the interior out, leave the top open, and let it sit for 2 hours. Then wipe it down again, and close the lid, and leave it for 24 hours. Your humidor is now seasoned.

Insert humidifier, and let sit for 48 hours with calibrated hygrometer. Only stock with cigars if after this point your RH is at or near the desired amount.

As far as maintaining, I use http://www.cigarbid.com/Auction/Lot/966493/HUMI-CARE-HX10-Rectangle-Humidifier/ . Works like a charm, and VERY low maintenance.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so, i ordered a pound of the 70% beads, and a wolf V-cutter. Ive been airing out the humi and it just dipped below 70% RH today. All i need is for my beads to come in, and i should be in business. i hope.

Also, the instructions said not to attempt to calibrate the Hygrometer, as it was "pre-calibrated. Dont know how i would do that anyway, as it is embedded in the side of the Humi.