What's new

My New Wineador

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally upgraded from a 48 qt. Coleman to an 80-ish qt. wine cooler. I watched craigslist for weeks but nothing good showed up, so I finally bit the $200 bullet on eBay. Then more scratch and dent Newairs were suddenly back in stock. :/ The model I got is a little bigger at a 32-bottle capacity and I needed all of it so it's probably for the best anyway. Can't have too much room for cigars...

Went the twenty5 route with the Ranco ETC.

I cut shelves from a 6 ft. piece of coated wire shelf from Home Depot. This is what it would look like if I didn't need every cubic inch of space for my cigars.

This is what it actually looks like with my cigars crammed in there. There's just enough space left to allow some airflow.

Temperature and humidity are still stabilizing with the cigars in place. I would have been more patient preparing it for transfer but I'll be a out of town for a couple weeks and wanted them under refrigeration. As much space as they occupy I don't think it'll take long to reach 65% anyway.

I used 9 ounces of kitty litter per Heartfelt's calculator, and gave the beads 15 sprays (it's still dry as hell here). DO the KL experts here think that will get the job done?

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
That is a nice looking wineador bro. I rock the new airs myself, but I do like the looks of that one you have. As far as KL goes, if using the HF calculator, always double it for a better recovery rate. Also, I am not sure the relationship between bead quantity to KL or if there is a definitive answer there. For me, more doesn't hurt, whereas less does. Search the threads for KL topics, if you haven't already. There's a lots of great info here. And welcome!

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Very well-executed in the Tetris department!
Assuming everything that went in there was already properly seasoned and in use in your cooler, I'd think you're going to be fine. You're just going to have more fine tuning to do without getting everything stabilized prior to adding sticks. As long as you're close though, I'd think you're going to be okay for the duration of your absence, you might just have to play recovery for a bit when you return...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The seal seems good so I figured it would be safe for awhile, at least. I doubled up on the KL with a container on the top shelf and spritzed some more and the RH continues to (slowly) climb. And as bad as the Tetris is it's still a lot easier to get to a specific box/bundle than it was in the cooler, so I'm really liking the results so far.

Thanks guys.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Just don't get carried away with the spraying. If all the boxes and cigars were already at proper RH, and the KL comes out of the bag in the low 60%, all you're really compensating for is the dry air. Hate for you to come home in two weeks to a humi at 80% RH!

EHV

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Really sharp setup. You going to consider cedar shelving at some point for more storage? I like the 2 fan setup as well. Beats rigging up additional means of circulation.