What's new

My "Salvage an Avanti" Project

swat253

CRA Member #206760
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Most of us at the office have a personal mini-fridge of some sort. I have a compressor type Haier and I gave my Mom's Avanti to a co-worker. He didn't take very good care of it, and after about 3 months, he left the door open over a week-end, thus burning up the unit. Long story short, he eventually told me it didn't cool anymore. So, it sat unused for the past two years and was just waiting for someone to carry it out to the dumpster when, I came across a few threads here about Vinotemps, Winedors and such.

Remembering that it was a Thermoelectric, I started looking into the theory of how they cool. Simple - almost to the point that it defies logic. At least mine anyway! I eventually removed the back, began studying the nomenclature and started unscrewing parts;

The glued-on schematic drawing was of no real help, but it soon became apparent that two external fans pulled air away from a large heatsink, and a smaller internal fan pulled air from a smaller cold-sink mounted a 1-inch thick aluminum block, with a 1/4 inch ceramic-plated square with wires running from it mounted in-between. With a little trouble shooting, it appeared the Thermoelectric Cooler (TEC) had a bad spot on it; commonly resulting from over-heating, which I found with a little help from a YouTube video. I jumped the defective prongs and the plates heated up on one side and cooled on the other!

I hunted down a replacement TEC (fleabay). The installation/function is much like mounting a cpu to a heatsink/fan in a computer. With any luck, in a few weeks I'll have a functional, albeit small, Avanti humidor that narrowly missed being sent to a landfill.

Thanks to all the threads and posts on BOTL, I plan to add a few Spanish cedar shelves (the inside has a series of grooves for shelves), 65% beads, and I will probably add a 7-Day digital programmable timer to cycle on and off for short periods, since the air is shut off in our building after 6PM weekdays and all day on Sat/Sun. If all goes well, this is going to stay at the office, so I'll add a lock to keep grubby fingers out of my "stash away from home!"

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For those of you interested. Vinotemp does sell replacement cooling units as well as contollers on their site. Pretty simple change out. However you do need to use a soldering iron for two of the terminations. Do yourself a favor and buy a real soldering iron with cord. Cordless irons completely and utterly suck.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3

swat253

CRA Member #206760
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Good point Dave! I looked at that option and I've saved the link. When it comes to protecting a cigar investment, I want to do whatever works best. I'll give it go and see if I can buy myself some time before I step up and buy a new 28 bottle unit!

Hardcore

BoM April '09
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Awesome dude, that is way cool

I think you have a good plan, except the 7 day cycle thingy. you can get a Ranco temp controller that will kick on the power if it gets too warm and turn it off when it gets cool again. this is the model that several brothers here use. I have a different model, ut would use this one I'f I could.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ranco-ETC-111000-Temperature-Controllers_W0QQitemZ320481048031QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9e28b5df
I use a different model as well. Whatever model you chose it is a smart investment on any wineadore.

swat253

CRA Member #206760
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Thanks for the replies fellas! I'm open to any and all suggestions! I'll post progress updates as this develops.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I picked up a used one that didn't work and did the same thing. The replacement only lasted a couple months, when an earthquake hit and fried it again. Although, I don't know why it stopped working the 1st time, I plug my new one into a surge protector, just in case.

swat253

CRA Member #206760
Rating - 100%
67   0   0

FAIL! Received replacement peltier cooler and installed easily. Plugged in unit before I re-assembled the system. The peltier cooled on one side as intended, but the internal and exhaust fans wouldn't run. They clicked and stuttered almost to the timing of a ticking clock! I removed the ground wire from the peltier connection and the fans ran fine - but the peltier stopped cooling.

Next step is to remove replacement peltier, clean off all thermal paste and start over.

Any electrical engineers out there?

I went ahead and stuck a couple of cigar boxes and cedar sheets in there, six "yard gars" along with a dish of beads, and the readings are consistently 71/68. The sticks are in excellent shape! So, it's basically acting as a coolidor. That's fine for now, but when the weather warms up, our office building will be warmer after 6PM and hot over the week-end, as the system is programmed to cool only during normal work hours... whatever those are. :dunno:

I routinely override the system after 6P and on the week-ends when I'm there, but I know I can't, and don't want to, be there every w/e.