What's new

Need opinion on wine cooler conversion

mcroom

RV Wizard
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I have found this for sale and wonder if the 5 beechwood shelves (Comes with composite shelf covers that cover bottle slots giving you a flat shelf so that any type of items can be stored just as in a traditional fridge)
would work or if I will need to use actual spanish cedar for shelves?

I appreciate any and all opinion and thank you in advance.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
The main reason for using Spanish Cedar amongst others is its ability to absorb and thrive in high humidity levels while normal wood may start bloating or splitting due to prolonged exposure to high humidity levels spanish cedar seems to thrive plus it gives out a nice aroma that keeps away them nasty tabbacy beetles. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to use those shelves you got with the vino temp as long as it doesn't have an overpowering scent which may get transferred and ruin your smokes. Since you're most likely to store boxes in there I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Edit: Enjoy your new purchase!

orsonwelles

inmenso
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry too much about beechwood: it's fairly neutal (They use it to age Budweiser), but what do those composite inserts smell like? I'd be concerned about that some.
I agree with Daniyal, especially if you store Spanish cedar boxes in the unit, your smokes will be sitting pretty.
I'd reserve that bottom shelf for a few bottles of good Port, though.:bottle:

mcroom

RV Wizard
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I have not purchased this unit but am considering it. If the beechwood scent is ok, what about the possibility of mold ?

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Mold on cigars or the wood? The beechwood may get mold that's primarily one of the reaspns why people use spanish cedar for humidors if I was in your position I'd get the unit and use it as long as possible and swap the beechwood for spanish cedar if I noticed mold growing. Other than that why worry about what may happen in the future? just enjoy the moment bro.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
If you're humidity isn't too high you shouldn't develop mold. As said you if you're keeping them in the boxes the smokes come in you'll be fine. An other good option for shelves is raw mahogany I believe. When I get my humidor cabinet build I'll probably have the inside done with raw mahogany to keep costs down (doesn't save much) since I'll be storing them in the boxes they come in.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it use a compressor or is it thermoelectrical?

My guess is that it uses a compressor, wine coolers of that size usually does.

Do a search on the subject here to find more info, basically a compressor cools too aggressively which causes the humidity to fluctuate.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Dont know what you collection looks like. But I would stick to the Vino 28 on craigslist for like 150-200 when avail in your area. Pull out the stainless racks and buy 2 shelves (Max) and 2 singles drawers (Min). Just got to get ahold of that MTMouse or sign a petition for Wade to do yours and the other 4 guys waiting for Mtmouse to reappear.
Justin

mcroom

RV Wizard
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Dont know what you collection looks like. But I would stick to the Vino 28 on craigslist for like 150-200 when avail in your area. Pull out the stainless racks and buy 2 shelves (Max) and 2 singles drawers (Min). Just got to get ahold of that MTMouse or sign a petition for Wade to do yours and the other 4 guys waiting for Mtmouse to reappear.
Justin
Thanks Justin. I drug my feet on purchasing and I am glad I did if the compressor type won't let me keep consistency. I thought once it was at a set temperature it would run very little and not be a problem. I don't have much of a collection right now but have a few I would like to keep for a long time and want to start a good collection. Again, Thank you for your advice.