What's new

Need some help deciding.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I know I posted a Thread a couple of weeks back with this question but I am finally about to make a decision. I searched around and these are the best 2 I am able to get for the price and great looks. The Santiago which is a 700 ct and I'll get it for around 500 or the Montegue end table which holds 1500 and I'll get it for 694. I will be using a cigar oasis 2 xl that a friend is going to trade with me for so that would be the humidification. I know the Avallo is great but they don't ship to me and also it is around 900 to wherever they do ship to and the Aristocrat are gorgeous but also are a bit up there for 1400. My budget is 700 so the 2 that I put up fall under my budget, now I just can't decided which one to get and which one will be the best choice along with a better bang for the buck. So I leave my faith to you my BOTL, I need help in this one since I can't make up my mind.prestige santiago-open.jpgUnknown.jpeg

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Well I don't have any experience with either but it seems the santiago would be best if looking to store more singles than boxes. Another piece of advice from buying humidors is don't settle you'll only end up with buyers remorse, $700 is your budget what's the rush why not wait some time save some more and get something you'll be happy with for a long time.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I had two of the Montegue cabinets before biting the bullet for an Aristocrat, and I had good luck with them. I am not a fan of the multiple outside drawers on a cabinet as the Santiago appears to have.

Where are you buying it from? I see Cheap Humidors has if for $524,and you can go to the "name your price" option and typically get 5% off, which would bring it to under $500....not sure what the shipping is, but I am sure it would total out to less than your $694 cost.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I don't have any experience with either but it seems the santiago would be best if looking to store more singles than boxes. Another piece of advice from buying humidors is don't settle you'll only end up with buyers remorse, $700 is your budget what's the rush why not wait some time save some more and get something you'll be happy with for a long time.
Your right, only thing is that I now have about 5 humis at home and need something bigger. I know I would be happy with either since I've had both of these in my mind for a while now. Thanks again

I had two of the Montegue cabinets before biting the bullet for an Aristocrat, and I had good luck with them. I am not a fan of the multiple outside drawers on a cabinet as the Santiago appears to have.

Where are you buying it from? I see Cheap Humidors has if for $524,and you can go to the "name your price" option and typically get 5% off, which would bring it to under $500....not sure what the shipping is, but I am sure it would total out to less than your $694 cost.
The Santiago would be from Beyondcigars.us I believe and the Montegue would be from humidorvault.com

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
My advice is do not rush into buying a cabinet. Research the different ones and buy what is best for you. Go bigger than you think you will need, because you will fill it. Trust me. Personally, I like the Avallo cabinets with the Accumonitor system. Always reliable. Just my 2 cents.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Your right, only thing is that I now have about 5 humis at home and need something bigger. I know I would be happy with either since I've had both of these in my mind for a while now. Thanks again
Have you considered a cooler? sure, it doesn't look as nice but you can consolidate some of those humis into one cooler while you save some more cash.
then there is the nuclear option, stop buying cigars and confine your stash to the 5 humis you have.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new here so please forgive me if this seems intrusive. I have a pretty decent inventory that I keep in the "Lauderdale" cabinet humidor(rated at 1000 cigars), a "Treasure Dome"(rated at 300 cigars) and a Savoy, desktop(rated at 100 cigars). Now according to the ratings, I should have the capacity to store 1400 smokes. Let me tell you, my inventory is around 525 and I think I may have room for about 10 more. My point is, as I'm sure you know, the listed capacities are much less than advertised. My recommendation is to get wineador for around $225 and then get the slip in shelves and drawers from wineadors.com , and you'll still come in within budget, plus have the availability of temperature control. Just my 2 cents, but sincerely, this is my next move. Best of luck no matter what you decide!:halfgrinw

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0

The Santiago would be from Beyondcigars.us I believe and the Montegue would be from humidorvault.com
I would compare the price at Cheaphumidors.com if you decide on the Montegue.

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Where do you live? Your profile says NY. I'm pretty sure Avallo ships to NY and don't believe shipping would be 900?!?

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
not intrusive at all uplander (or at least I dont think so..)...

I hear what youre saying on counts.. my desktop is SUPPOSEDLY a 150... I dont think Ive ever been able to fit more than 100 in there.. and I dont do a lot of churchills or other "big" sticks.. probably 75% of what I smoke is robusto sized or smaller.. I only keep a handful of toros, churchills, etc around.. I dont even do a whole lot of the long/skinny sticks like lances..

I get your point on the wineador too... but.. that said.. I think there are situations where the cabinet wins out... for example.. Ive got a wineador now... Ive outgrown it and am looking to increase my storage and get out of my overflow tupperadors, and get everything (well.. most everything) back into one container..

currently I keep my wineador in the closet in my office.. I would like to be able to display my sticks though.. and upgrading to a larger wineador isnt going work..nor will putting together a large coolerador (although that is my temp solution until I settle on which cabinet I want and come of the road for a little while and actually have time to get a cabinet set up property).. A plastic box with igloo on the side of it, or a 48 bottle glass front wine fridge is going to be a little out of place in the office (all old, dark wood furniture)... and Im out of closet space (I intend on keeping the wineador I have.. and using it for "daily" smokes, stuff I want to bomb out, etc.. the new cabinet will be for stuff Im holding on to, aging, etc..)..

and the house boss (wife) absolutely isnt going to let me put a 160 quart igloo or a 48 bottle wine cooler in the middle of the den...

So... Im looking for something that is large enough to hold the stash (plus some extra room).. but can also be displayed in the house..

If I had a separate cigar shack.. or a basement.. etc... that I was using as my man cave.. I think the larger wineador would be perfect..

but since Im limited to either the office/man cave or the den.. my expansion options are a little more limited..

this is what I am thinking about right now (although I am still very much undecided)...

supposedly holds 3500 sticks (which probably means 2K in the real world.. but still more space than I will ever need (I hope!)).. and would fit in decently with the other furniture in the office..

Last edited:

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I think you should do what you want but since you asked, I will say wait and buy something nicer. I'm all for coolers and winadors but I don't display my cigars. If I was going to, I would buy something furniture quality that matched and was big enough for at least 5-10 years at least.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now than in one beautiful and large cabinet/tower!!!:thumbsup: I understand what you are saying and think that would definitely make a fine choice!!!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input guys. I ended up going with the Santiago Humidor, my wife liked it and I live in an apt so it goes great here with me without taking up too much space. I know most of you guys said not to rush into it and I feel like I didn't since I thought about this for about 5 months now. Once again thanks my BOTL.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly think they are too small, maybe go with something a little bigger if you are going to spend the money anyway. I would not settle on capacity or quality. Maybe save for an aristocrat and use coolers till then?