What's new

Need to cool down my humidor

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reading in my humidor is 56 humidity and 76 degrees. Do I need to be concerned? If so, how do I cool my humidor down?

bmanhour

JLB

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Hey buddy. Slip on over to the intros and tell us a little about yourself. As far as the temp, 70 is ideal for me. Anything 75 and over has a risk of tobacco beetles. And that's no fun.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
404   0   0
My recommendation is to get your humidor into the coolest part of your house. Not sure if you live in an area of the country where houses have basements but if so basements are ideal. If your basement has a musty smell, don't keep it there though since your cigars can potentially pick up the musty odor over time.

If you don't have a basement, make sure your humidor is out of the sunlight. North side of the house is cooler than the south. Closets or storage areas are good options. I used to have a humidor that I kept in a dresser drawer. It generally stayed 1-2* coooler than the temperature of the room.

Rupe

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
The reading in my humidor is 56 humidity and 76 degrees. Do I need to be concerned? If so, how do I cool my humidor down?

bmanhour
Like the other mentioned, your humidity is low. Get it in at least the mid 60s. As far as your temperature goes - unless you can physically find a cooler place to put your stash, you will need active cooling (i.e. a wine cooler, preferably thermoelectric) as a place to put your cigars.

BTW: Welcome. This is a great board with some good advice occasionally thrown around ;) Read some of the sticky's above if you're interested in the wine cooler route.

Regards,
Randy