What's new

New fan smell... ??

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I had ordered a couple of PC slot fans (Amazon ACC-9100) and have not installed them yet. I suppose I don't really need them but they are here so I was working on how to install them. First order of business was to test them and as soon as they started spinning I was smelling electronics.
Not that "OMG theres a fire" smell but there is a distinct odor coming form them. Not heavy and only kind of like electronics smell.
I don't want to put anything in with my cigars that will taint them so here are my question...
- How long will this aroma be around?
- Anyone else have this happen? What did you do?

Im currently letting them run on the timer and will see what happens after a few cycles. Ill be sure to report back.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Could it be the oil used to assemble or make them and it may just need to burn off,so to speak. Just a thought. New motors will smell at first and after running and a little breakin that goes away.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I had ordered a couple of PC slot fans (Amazon ACC-9100) and have not installed them yet. I suppose I don't really need them but they are here so I was working on how to install them. First order of business was to test them and as soon as they started spinning I was smelling electronics.
Not that "OMG theres a fire" smell but there is a distinct odor coming form them. Not heavy and only kind of like electronics smell.
I don't want to put anything in with my cigars that will taint them so here are my question...
- How long will this aroma be around?
- Anyone else have this happen? What did you do?

Im currently letting them run on the timer and will see what happens after a few cycles. Ill be sure to report back.
Some people are more sensitive to certain types of odour than others. It took over a month before I was comfortable putting any sticks into my Newair, due to the plastic smell. Anything you can do to wipe down would probably help. Maybe even leave the fans in sunlight outside for a few days?

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
By later the same evening the smell was almost gone. I let them sit overnight and fired them up again and still smelled something but not near as bad as initially. I'll run them for a few more hours and call it good.

Guess they needed some break in :rolleyes:

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
FINAL - a couple days later there was almost no smell. I waited a few days and fired up the fans again and the smell was minimal if any so I've installed on and its working like a charm keeping top and bottom RH even.