What's new

New Humidor/Project

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I ordered my first humidor online a little while ago, and it finally showed up a few days ago. It's a basic glass-top model that wasn't too expensive for a starving college student and all that.

Pretty standard, cherry finish, all Spanish cedar lined. It was advertised as 100 count, but from what I understand, I can expect a bit less out of it - not a problem (for now...)

It's got the removable shelf with a moveable divider, and two large adjustable dividers in the bottom. All stuff you guys have seen I'm sure.

However, the first thing I was concerned with when trying to season it was the seal. It wasn't that good. Even with the lid closed, it had a little play (I could rock it up and down by pressing on a corner.) So, after reading some advice, I used masking tape to build up the rim that extends down into the box from the lid. I was satisfied with 3 layers.

Now it closes tight. If the lid is allowed to drop down, it rests, and I have to push it down firmly so it "thunks" into place. Nice.

My next concern was the hygrometer. I know that the analog ones in this situation aren't terrific, and I'm going to get an electronic one, but it needs to be in the front, and plus, it looks classy. It came like so:

I decided not to mess with the magnet, and carefully caulked the rim on the hygrometer to the soft plastic ring that came with it. Then I put a layer of caulk around the hole in the front, pushed the hygrometer in after it, and cleaned up the excess. Finally, I went in through the back and caulked the bejeezus out of the seam inside.

Cool deal. From the outside, it looks normal.

Now, I've got the caulk all ready to go, and I'm pretty suspicious about the quality of this bad boy at this point. Plus, I have trouble leaving well enough alone. So, I laid down a bead of caulk along the underside of the glass top. Fluctuate this!

Now, this bad boy is currently drying, because the caulk needs 24 hours to cure before exposure to moisture. And there is soon to be a good deal of that! However, I've got a couple questions about seasoning/hydrating this guy. I've currently got the following with me:

That's the humidifier that came with the humidor, 2 oz. of Crystal Gel humidification beads, and a shot glass. Distilled water only!

Now, to do the initial seasoning, what should I place in the humi? Just the shot glass for a few days? Or the glass and the crystals? All three?

Also, once I do that, and I start filling with sticks, how much should I use to keep the humidity? Just the Crystal Gel, or will I need the humidifier too?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer. It'll be great to have a nice looking humidor instead of tupperware now.

Rating - 100%
596   0   0
very nice pics paul!
did you salt test before sealing the hygrometer? i personally prefer digital.
i have a similar desktop and use rh beads with no problems or worries. you wouldn't need many,probably a tube would do it. in fact...let me look,i might have an extra around here somewhere. if so i'll send it to you.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
the jar of ice can be topped off with distilled water. then put it in the humi.

the humidifer should be charged with humidor solution, then that can get installed.

there should be no need for the shotglass if you use both humidifiers.

cashedash

illusione
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Nice pictures.

Here is what I did with my desk top humidor. I took a couple shot glasses of water and put them in there for a week. Took them out and put in a stick of 70% beads. I use 70% cause I like to open my box and not worry about losing humidity also my humidor was made in Taiwan so the seal may not be the best. With the beads you just pour your distilled water on them and they soak it up here it a pic of my humi and where I got my beads.

I will get an updated picture of my humidor on my profile with the beads and all the cigars that shuckins and n.olson threw at me.

http://www.botl.org/community/forums/album.php?albumid=281&pictureid=2497

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/proddetail.asp?prod=HT_1_70

~Brett:chat:

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thanks for the heads up guys. I did salt test the hygrometer, wrote down the variability and all that. Digital for peace of mind will soon be on the way.

Again, thanks. I'll update when it's ready to rock and roll.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Keep in mind if using humidification beads, that they're most effective when the greatest surface area is utilized. Meaning, they'll be more effective in a pan shaped container vs. a tall glass type container.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
what's up with the chairman mao shot glass?
Haha, my buddy spent some time in China this summer, and my parting words to him were, "Bring me back something subversive!"

Upon his return, we promptly invented The Tiananmen Square Shot - It'll get you Tanked!

RobustoMoe

No1 CC blanket bomber
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Had the same issues with my desktop ! It actually looks quite similar to yours and I think that they come from the manufacturer. Although they look nice, these humidors are useless !! :disappoin Took a similar approach "masking tape approach" and it worked. I have to admit that I had thought of sealing the glass top but chickened out !

MP.

Doesn't buy Altadis
Rating - 96.2%
37   1   0
Nice pics and fixes! Concerns about the same problems you had are what made me decide to start with a coolidor. Looks like everything worked out for you in the end. Good job!

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Good work on fixing the issues with the humidor. as for seasoning the ice and charged humidifier will work but beads would be best you won't need to hassle with it as much. I trust them so much i don't even keep a hygrometer in there anymore.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Ok, so I've been stressing on this thing waaaay too much. I put the sticks in without waiting long enough, the humidity was all over the place, they were getting dry, and I was completely freaked out all the time. So, I decided to chuck it, start over, and do it right this time.

Thanks to the generosity of Shuckins and the tube of RH Beads he provided, I managed to rig up a temporary place to store my sticks without drying them out too much. I call it "The Ghettodor"

I've got my fingers crossed on this one - I put distilled water on the beads so they were about 50/50 clear before they went it. However, some of the sticks are on the dry side. Will they absorb that pretty quickly? They'll probably be in there for a week.

In the meantime, I've got distilled water chillin' in the humidor itself. I'm trying not to be impatient, and I'm letting that go for a week before I move the sticks back in. Hygrometer is on the way, and I'll get this whole deal dialed in.

Is there anything I'm doing blatantly wrong? I don't want to mess up the cigars!