What's new

New humidor

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for my first humidor and was looking for recommendations and what brands to stay away from. Thanks for your help.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
404   0   0
A common recommendation is to avoid glass top humidors (of all brands). Although they may look nice, they are notoriously leaky (don't hold humidity well) and can also cause problems for you cigars if they are exposed to sunlight in any way.

qpzmide

Eric
Rating - 100%
156   0   0
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A1A5CSE/ref=asc_df_B00A1A5CSE4972509/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B00A1A5CSE&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167129443640&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9582364446693911285&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011110&hvtargid=pla-275590688544
This was my first storage purchase. It has a nice tight closure/seal. Realistically will hold about 70-80 sticks. I've got it jammed packed and with one 65% boveda and it holds steady at 65%. No regrets with it at all. An alternative is to buy a weather tight container for about $20 and it will do the same job for a lot cheaper and hold more sticks and even boxes.
Hang around here long enough and you'll be shopping for winos and cabinet humidor. Good luck. :cigar:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a humidor from Quality Importers that I bought on Amazon and it has a good seal. They have a few different designs and I've seen this brand at most of the local B&Ms by me. Other than the cold, dry winter months (and even then only the RH is only 2-3 off), it holds humidity to exactly at the Boveda packets I have in there so I'm pretty happy with it.

If you're shopping around in person, you can always try the dollar bill and light tests to estimate how good the seal is. Check the bottom of it, too. I've seen a few humidors that have really thin bottoms and a little felt that probably end up leaking humidity.

If you're not too concerned with aesthetics (my humidor is a display piece on my living room mantle), then a coolidor is the most cost-efficent route that offers the surest seal.

And I know it's your first humidor, but go a size or so bigger than what you think you'll need- you'll outgrow it quickly.

Rating - 100%
101   0   0
boveda is about it. you could put some shelves in there from amazon they got some different shelves on there starting at around 15 bucks or just get cigar boxes from your local b&m

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As typical newbies do when they hit this hobby they tend to wander and purchase things that they learn probably wasn't the best way product out there. Tupperadors are a great way to start this hobby when it comes to storage....it's pretty much a very forgiving way to start off where one doesn't understand about wood humidors as to how one is a POS while another is a great wood humidor. Tupperadors tend to fill the void between starting the hobby and gaining knowledge of what makes for a quality humidor in the future...that means getting the right info before indulging and jumping into buying those pesky 25 and 50 counts pressboard wood humidors that can barely retain RH or just turn into junk within a years time. This is how some turn to narcotics to relieve themselves of the OCD and not being able to keep relative humidity where it belongs....I still visit an old friend of mine in an assisted living community because of the mental stress of trying to keep 65% RH in his 25 count humidor that he bought for $30 at Tuesday Morning where the clerk told him that this particular humidor was the same type that JFK used. As you smoke your cigars read about quality humidors and what they cost...how they are made....what constitutes quality, etc. When you finally get to the point where you are aware of what you've read ALWAYS buy bigger...at the very least a 250 count.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for everyone's help. I really need one that locks.
Yeah....my son used to get into mine years ago when he was 16...he'd give some to his friends and then they'd smoke em in the back yard. I came home and saw them on the couch green as grass and their eyes glazed over moaning. Seems as though they got into some of my "heavy weights" and smoked themselves into a stupor. I figured that was punishment enough until I started talking with them about..."what's for lunch fellas?....my treat..let's go get some greasy burgers and fries and for dessert....hot fudge sundaes with heavy syrup....huh...ya with me?" I never had anymore cigar humidor break-ins after that.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, there's plenty of advice on the forums on how to season them. Make sure you be patient and take the proper time to season it to save headaches later on.