What's new

Newbie Friendly Humidor

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
when I was new to cigar smoking, I stumbled upon the various cigar forums.

Just like everyone else, the hobby grew into an obsession, and cigar storage was my #1 obsession. I went from small mdesktop, too medium desktop, too multiple large custom desktops. Then when I added up all that I spent, I said "damn, I should have just bought a cabinet. Then, after 3 cabinets, plus all a couple of Igloos, I said "damn, I should have just bought a cigar shop"

Anyway, I wish at the beginning of my quest for cigar storage that someone had introduced me to humidor jars. Back in the days of green foam humidifiers, I do admit that an airtight jar was not ideal. This was true because of the humidifiers that we used in the jar, not the jar itself.

These days, we have the Boveda. Coupled with a Boveda, an airtight humidor jar is absolutely the easiest way to store cigars. The Boveda provides for absolute accurate humidity levels, and will last for a year or two in an airtight jar. Put a piece of spanish cedar in the jar, and you have the perfect environment for cigar storage.

sure, you have too watch a couple of things. First, keep the jar in a darker spot in your room. second, just open the lid at least once a month. truthfully, it doesnt get simpler than that. You dont need a hygrometer, you dont need to plug it in, no need for refilling, no fuss, no muss.

Now my humidor jars will not replace my cigar cabinets, but if you need a simple, easy to use humidor for a small amount of cigars, a humidor jar can not be beat. No need to season it, no need to fix a seal, its the perfect small desktop.

Last edited:

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
That's what I used when I started :thumbsup:. Have the feeling I'll be referring newbs to this thread quite a bit :grin:.

Dan

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
think about all the newbie threads about struggling with a new humidor.

it starts with a bought a new desktop, what do I do? well you have to season it. then that brings more problems and questions.

then the newbie finds out that the supplied hygrometer and humidifier suck. so now they have to buy a digital hygro and a new humidifier. then that leads to more problems and questions.

next problem is that the cheap $35 humidor is leaking, and what do I do.

Thats why I like humidor jars, and thier bigger brother, the coolidor.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
dont you have a problem with cigars rubbing against each other???

I went from tupperdor, to a desktop, to a vino,