What's new

Newbie Humi Attainage...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, this post is for all you newbs (like me) fiddling with trying to get your humi environment just perfect...

First off, big props to all the people on this site who've helped me thus far, (many who didn't even know they were helping me as I read old threads, references etc.)

I'm not the first and surely won't be the last, but there really isn't another web resource that puts all the knowledge and wisdom together in one place like BOTL...so THANK YOU!!!!

Given the above, I am proud to announce that both my humidors have attained 70F/62%RH (which is about as good as they're going to get), and maintained those parameters consistently for a while now. I can absolutely experience and taste the difference in my smokes, which is awesome! They are pretty much back to being as great as they were when I was willing to shell out all that money for them, and you can't get much better than that.

My big point for other newbies is that if you stick with it you WILL get the conditions right for your cigars and your environment, and you WILL learn to light, draw and purge properly, though it can be frustrating at times.

Hang in there! The cigar smokes way better and even tastes way better when YOU KNOW it's because you've nailed the humi environment, your own light, draw, and purge habits, etc. Good advice is great and very helpful for so many things, but in the end your own senses; your own smoking experience, are the only things you can really rely on to make your cigars perform the best for YOU.

:)

Rating - 100%
123   0   0
I'm sitting about 70-71 degrees and 65% humidity. You are so right about the good feeling of finally having things where you want them.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The hits just keep coming!!! That confidence of being able to pull a smoke out of the box, have a great pre-light inspection and really enjoy that smoke is awesome. A few weeks ago it was 50/50 whether I was going to chuck the stick or actually enjoy it after lighting. Very frustrating. Now it's more like 90/10 in my favor. Love it!

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I'm still trying to find the sweet spot in my house for my 2 humi's and converted plastic box. I can't get my temperature down, without getting it way too low (aka: putting it under the bed; the air vent keeps it too cold under there).

AND... I'm having issues with my beads. Both my humis that I have beads in, have terrific seals on them. Tested them with dollar bill, they "swoosh" when dropping the lids, etc. Well, somehow, I will charge my beads, and within about 2 weeks, they are all white, again, and my humidity is plummeting into the very low 60's and even high 50's. I'm getting frustrated. My converted plastic container (about shoebox size) has an old foam humidifier in it, and it's keeping right around 70%, consistently. So, I'm not sure what the heck I'm doing wrong!! Grrrrr...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Frank - You've been at this longer than I have, so you have more experience...

I've attained my results by keeping the humi centrally located in the house away from doors and windows...I personally like it kinda cold in my house so AC is set to 71F and it stays there pretty consistently. I don't use RH beads, I am using 68%RH humidification packs. (I personally wanted the most expensive long term solution I could find, so I opted for these...;)

The manufacturer recommends lots of packs in there, but my humi is full of cigars, and I find temp and humidity stable with only 2 packs, not the 5-6 they recommend. I have plenty of packs standing by if they are needed for fine adjustment, but my approach is working for me, so I'm not gonna mess with it.

It could very well be that I am still in the final stages of attaining RH equilibrium between the air in the humi and the cigars themselves, and as such I may see my RH begin dropping soon due to frequent opening the humi. It's been stable this way for a couple weeks now, but if RH% does begin to drop, I will slowly add humi-packs as needed until I get up to whatever number of packs works best in my humi to maintain the current conditions. Cycling them slowly this way means the packs will be staged so that I never replace them all at once, but rotate new ones in slowly but consistently over time.

Again, everything seems to be right in my box and stable for at least a couple weeks now, so I'm sticking with this approach until and unless something changes. Works for me :)

Good luck with yours, bro!