What's new

Newbie Needing Help...

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
As I am just starting, I was just curious if I could get some recommendations on humidors. I'm looking for something smaller for now...maybe 25-50ct. Maybe give me some info on what to look for as well.

Thanks for your help!!

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
For some starting advice, go bigger.... Instead of upgrading in 2 weeks get something around 150ct or so now.

WkndSmoker

Short Story
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I agree with the bigger is better but you should also buy this first. The cigars alone are worth the price and then later you can scope out a good price on a bigger humi.

http://www.cigarsintl.com/sa999

Larger is good advice...and I have had a couple beers, am I seeing that right, even if it was a sampler of white owls and swishers that is by no means a bad deal.

Wknd.

rduke10

AKA Dookie
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
speaking from experience, go bigger. I thought I would never fill the 50 count and within the first month I had to go bigger.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I agree with the bigger is better but you should also buy this first. The cigars alone are worth the price and then later you can scope out a good price on a bigger humi.

http://www.cigarsintl.com/sa999
Sorry to be blunt, but That humi sucks,....I had one and it never held steady. I had to spray my beads every other day, and it's way too small. It does look cool, and the smokes might be worth the $15. :dunno: I used mine for an accessory box now.:sadstare:

Also in my limited experience, a 150 ct humi will hold about 100 cigars. I think they measure those cigar capacity with small Petite Coronas. If you are going to upgrade soon, then save the cash and use a tupperware until you can buy what you want. Then check out our sponsors as they usually have some good deals.

Last edited:

kmckinn3

Learning from the best
Rating - 100%
117   0   1
Good to know. I have a small 25 ct. humi i got off cigarbid for $7. I don't have a hygrometer so I don't really know if it's doing it's job. After receiving my first bomb today... I already feel like I need to upgrade!! So if I were you and could do it over again, I'd go big.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I suggest you buy a cheap desktop humidor and upgrade to a nice cabinet if and/or when you realize your eventual obsession. Remember the cigar count for humidors is based on like a 38 ring gauge or something. Depending on the gauge of cigars you end up liking, a 50 count humidor might not hold 50 cigars. Glass tops are cool because you can look at your babies but try to keep them away from direct sunlight. Direct sunlight can cause a greenhouse effect in your humidor which could eventually lead to mold or beetle infestation. If you find a humidor you like, post a link to a description of it on this forum and I'm sure someone will know something about it.

I bought this one off of CigarBid for cheap. Its a cheapie but it does fine in holding temperature and humidity.

A buddy of mine bought one of these for cheap off of CI. His works great too. In fact, I've heard nothing but good things about the Bally line.

Invest in a digital hygrometer. A lot of the analog hygrometers that come with the cheap humidors are far from accurate. Plus, most digital hygrometers will also read and display temperatures. These should run you no more than $20.00. I bought this one off of CI. If you do decide to go with a digital hygrometer, remember to run the salt calibration test on it and adjust accordingly. I'm sure there's a post on this board with instructions on how to do that.

Also, get a electronic humidifier. Its worth it. I bought a Cigar Oasis XL and it works great.

Good luck. Hope I've been helpful.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Definitely go bigger than you think you need.

I did that by buying a 120 when I started, however I am already needing even bigger and will get a wine fridge soon.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I have to agree go as big as you can afford, this is assuming you are sure you're going to continue this hobby. I've known a couple people buy a 150 ct load it up and rarely smoke any, so before you go big, know that this is for you. My other recomendation is buy big for how frequent you smoke. big for a daily smoker and a weekend warrior are totally different. just my 2 cents, and get a digital hygrometer those analong are really unreliable

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I just ordered that thing off Cigars International. The humi might suck, but still 15 bucks for 8 sticks is not bad. Bombing material and an overflow humi