What's new

Newbie Question - Quarantining Cigars

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Hey brothers,

The post title is a bit redundant - all of my cigar questions are newbie questions. I tried to search but didn't find what I was looking for.

I've read a lot of posts about storing new cigars outside your primary humidor to wait and see if any beetles emerge and here's my question: do you take this precaution for every single cigar you buy and will store in your humidor? Or only from certain manufacturers? Or only from...?

If you don't do this for every single purchase, how do you decide which sticks to do it for? :dunno:

As always, thanks so much for your help!

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Never done it and (knock on wood) never had any issues. Generally speaking I don't seem to see that many posts with guys having issues either...relative to other concerns about storage. As long as you're keeping them in the right conditions it shouldn't really be much of a concern.

Dan

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Unless you buy really cheap cigars I don't see why you'd have too. All the major manufacturers take precautions so that doesn't happen now. I wouldn't worry unless you are buying some fake Cubans or super cheap bundles.

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
I have a smaller cooler that I use for misc. sticks that I dont reach for and as a kind of a "quarantine" coolidor. Most loose singles go in there first, especially during the summer months, but it is mainly just for my piece of mind. I also label all my singles so this gives me some time to get the labels ready if I'm busy that day before putting them in with my other sticks.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Awesome, guys. Thanks so much! While I am not filling the humidor with boxes of Opus X, I don't plan on buying those bundles of 50 for $10, either, so I should be fine.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Different schools of thought....if you've ever had an outbreak of beetles it will make you think differently depending on how bad the infestation was and now many cigars were affected. Having said that the last decade has been really good in terms of infestations and how manufacturers take care of product....they don't want a bad reputation so they are being proactive. Secondly....I quarantine every single cigar I buy or have given to me for a couple of reasons....I like to put a date on inventory as to how old it is and I try to get a sense of the resting age of any cigar if possible. I put that info on my own band so I have an idea because regardless of whether you want to believe that cigars go through their "sick" period ....my experience tells me they do. Initially they go through them within about 90 days even from Vendors and again around a years time only at that point the "sick" period is not like the original. Most won't even know about it but the amount of ammonia that is present but each month a cigar still ferments which will give off that "sick/ammonia" taste.

I 'quarantine' at least for a month and for the last few years I now rest them for 2 months only because my collection has grown where I can wait that long. For those who don't have an extensive collection then you have to make your choice on availability and how badly you want a cigar.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Thanks again.

Right now I have such a low inventory that I smoke them pretty quickly. Once my stash grows to where, like you, I can afford to quarantine them without risking not having anything to smoke, I likely will. It doesn't hurt them to keep them separate, so why not if I can do it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great question. I quarantine my new cigars, but not only for a week or two. I watch them for any signs of beetles or mold during those two weeks and then move them into one of my two larger humidors. I kept my first small humidor just for this purpose, which is what I usually suggest to newer cigar smokers. I bet that within the next year you buy a new humidor that is slightly larger, and that is when I would suggest starting your quarantine process.

I have never had any issues, but since I have enough humidors to quarantine, I do.