What's new

Noob Humidor

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I am stationed in the middle east and cigars have recently become a regular part of my day as when the sun goes down we sit outside and "toast" the end of the day.

So, I bought a 25 pack of Cuban Cohiba #5's and need to get them in a Humidor ASAP. Problem is that I know nothing about humidors and don't want to spend a lot of money. There is nowhere to buy one in a store where I am so I have to order online.

Reviews I have read on all units less than $60 say the box is nice but Humidifying properties suck. What do you guys suggest?

Thanks,
Heath

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent and cheap solution. Question for you. All I have at the Post Exchange are the "Humidor bags" for $5. Can I use one of those inserts instead of the Boveda in the Tupperware? Is it the same thing? Should I buy Tupperware and one of those inserts to hold me over until I can oder a Boveda and have it shipped?

Thanks again,
Heath

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
All I have at the Post Exchange are the "Humidor bags" for $5. Can I use one of those inserts instead of the Boveda in the Tupperware? Is it the same thing? Should I buy Tupperware and one of those inserts to hold me over until I can oder a Boveda and have it shipped?

Thanks again,
Heath
Not sure what a "humidor bag" is so I Googled it :laugh:. What comes up are mostly bags that contain some sort of humidity regulation and are a temporary storage solution. If this is what you are talking about it should be fine temporarily. I used a DryMistat tube for a while in my humi. It's a gel crystal type product that I got from my local B&M. I much prefer the Hearfelt beads I have now though as they're more reliable. I'd certainly pick up a Tupperware container and throw in some kind of humidity device. Heck I used a paper towel moistened with distilled water when I first started. Takes some work to get the right humidity level, but I did it.

Dan

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
That's what I have used when taking a bunch of sticks on a trip once because I lost my cigar caddy. An ammo box, or anything that seals air-tight works well enough, you just need to keep the humidity up so what you have doesnt crack and dry out. Like Bugman said, a moistened paper-towel does for the time being.
I don't know if the old "water in a cup of salt" to keep it at 70% would work, but I know it works to calibrate hygrometers.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent guys. I found a nice large Tupperware container and in that humidor bag I bought for $5, I pulled a 69% Humidipak, which I just learned through Google is made by Boveda so I should be OK as is.

Thoughts?