What's new

Noob w/ Humi Question

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I am new to cigar smoking but have a good source of knowledge to draw from, my dad.

Unfortunately my father nearly passed away from a virus that attacked his heart and experienced heart failure.

Thankfully, he survived but can longer smoke cigars so ill never be able to enjoy them with him but he does offer good advice on humidors and so on but............

enough of the sob story heres my question.

I was told by the owner of my local tobacco b&m and my father that 70% humidity is optimal so I purchased a small humi that will hold roughly 30 cigars. I went about treating it the right way and so on and then tested the hygrometer.... it was 20 points off and is not self adjusting.

After reading all the good things on those heartfelt beads I decided to order some along with a digital hygrometer just to be safe, everyone says these beads are so good they dont need to be tested just monitored on when to add distilled water.

So I ordered the small size 70% round cigar humidity beads to stick underneath the lid of my humi since space is a bit of concern. But I see everyone seems to prefer the 65% beads and ive placed my order and im worried I may over saturate my stogies.

I only smoke on the weekends because its the only time I have to enjoy a full cigar because I have school in the mornings mon-thurs and I work after school and all day on friday.

Did I goof up on humidity level???? Or should it be fine. I know this old house I live in is a bit drafty but do not know how that could or would effect humidity in my humidor.

Just concerned because I just got my first order of Arturo Fuente Hemingway Best Seller cigars, they are amazing, and do not want to ruin the nice penny I paid for those.

Sorry for the long post gents, dont put me down too bad.

NOTE: This forum was the only one I seemed to find that did not have a bunch of snobs scolding the new posters on a regular basis like some of the others I looked at.

Cheers

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
RH comes down to personal preferance, and 70 is accepted as proper. If they smoke fine at 70 then you'll have no problem. that being said you should post a proper introduction and let us know who ya are.

sonarman

Hey Skimmer!
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
70% has worked fine for plenty of people. 65% works fine for plenty of people. Im pretty sure most of us started at 70% and either stayed or went to 65%. You wont do any damage to your cigars as long as you take care of them, 70% is fine and welcome!

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
welcome to BOTL, grim! please tell us a little bit about yourself in the introductions section.

that said, i shoot for 65%. there are alot of informative threads on the subject here if you just search around a little.

FireDoc83

Cigar Assassin
Rating - 98.5%
108   1   0
I like keeping my Humi between 60-65 (closer to 65). It really is personal preference, you discover what you like as time goes on. Some cigars have a problem staying lit and some burn too fast, you fluctuate until you find what you really enjoy... Some people like to dry box some cigars before burning them.

Everyone is different as long as you enjoy your stick then that should be good. :thumbsup:

This section is a good section for Humi questions. Ron is closest to an expert in this area. ASK RON!

mcroom

RV Wizard
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Since I have more maduro than any other I have found that 65% works better for them but as has been mentioned you can dry box them for a couple days and they should be fine.

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
as others have posted, it is preference. You will be fine with what you ordered. If anything let the beads dry out more than you normally would. That is don't recharge them as often and they should stay in that 65-70 range.